51 - Safe Now

Fraser

I can hear the gentle thrum of Ailsa's heart as it starts a new, becomes stronger. It thumps through the dirt under my feet, grounding me and aiding me strength to do what it is that I desperately want to do.

End her miserable express of a father.

Her friend, the other human woman, rushes to her side, pressing a shaking hand to her forehead.

"Ailsa, lass, can you hear me?"

"Gentry! Do not go near her! She'll rip your throat out. He's made her into a monster." Laird Sinclair demands, the words desperate and strained as sweat drips down his face.

Gentry. Ailsa's maid. No wonder the big lass is so fond of my mate. The two are close.

I open my mouth, prepared to give him a piece of my mind when Gavin steps in, a glare on his face.

"Don't pretend to care for her safety when you had her tied to a steak scarcely a minute ago. You intended to burn her, to burn them both. You are the monster here, human, make no mistake." I'm a bit speechless at the bite in his voice. Gavin is the relaxed one here. Its interesting to hear him vehemently defend Gentry.

I prowl forward, making eye contact with the laird as he bumbles uselessly, trying to defend himself.

"I had appearances to uphold, you dont understand. I cannot let such behavior slide. She tried to help Ailsa escape, that is directly going against my command as laird." He gulps as I slowly get closer and closer.

Laird Sinclair likely feels his fate coming closer as well, the end of his pathetic life looming overhead in the form of me. I am the embodiment of vengeance now, and he is rightly terrified. It makes me smile gleefully as I think of all the hurt I will reign down on him.

"But there was no harm done, yes? The woman are alive, so I have done nothing wrong." He insists, and Alec forces the pest to his knees.

I chuckle, folding my arms across my chest as I reach him, laughing down at the proud Liard as darkness falls and the only light is the moon and the roaring flames that would've engulfed my mate by now.

"Nothing wrong? Where should I begin?" I wonder aloud, not waiting for his answer as I circle him like a hungry wolf. "How about sacrificing your innocent daughter to make an alliance, fully knowing it would likely end in her death? Or maybe locking me away and practicing little experiments on me and seeing how I would squirm? Hmm? Sounding familiar, Sinclair?"

His mouth flops open, tongue grasping at his lips as he tries to form some sort of syllables.

I grip his trembling chin, forcing his head up to look at me as my smile grows.

"It's my turn to watch you squirm."

I start with his ear, and then an eye. I take what I please and thrill in his screams of absolute agony as blood flows and flesh tears.

No one tries to save him, a running theme in this little human clan. They ignore pain easily enough. I suppose their own leader is no exception to that philosophy.

"Please, please stop." His beginning doesn make me stop fully, but it gives me pause as I think over his pleas.

How many times did Ailsa beg? And did it ever make him pause? I think I already know the answer to that.

So I don't hold myself back for very long. I did make him a promise, after all, all those weeks ago. I remember it clearly, promising to torture him before I rip his throat from his neck. I knew I would make good on the promise and fulfill my desire to make him hurt for all that he's done. I didn't know when I would seek my vengeance, let alone how I would possibly escape, but it was something that felt so right that I made no move to question it.