32 - My Wee Mate

Ailsa

I keep my hands curled tightly in front of myself, trying to calm my heart that thumps erratically in my chest like a fluttering bird trapped in a bush.

My father is sprawled before me on his favorite chair that sits in the main hall, fiddling with his silver cross that started this whole thing. He looks exactly like what he is, a fierce Laird whose word is law.

I can only hope that the last part isn't entirely true.

"You better get this over with, Ailsa. My patience is wearing thin." He insists with that barking tone that sounds more like a pup than a wolf.

I clear my throat and near him with a few gentle steps, afraid to warrant any sort of negative reaction from him. Knowing my record from past interactions, it's unlikely that I will walk away from this completely unscathed.

"Well, I wanted to speak to you about my betrothed." I murmur, keeping my voice even to keep up appearances. I want to seem as calm as possible, I want this man, this laird, I want him to think me strong and confident.

"Ah, yes. The Ramsay boy. They will arrive next week and we will hash out the details then." My father moves both feet to the floor as if to leave, gripping the arm rests to his throne. "Are we done here?"

I jump forward, my smooth facade shattering like glass against stone.

"No, no. I have some questions." I insist, and it earns me a raise of one unruly eyebrow.

Women aren't supposed to ask questions. It's something i should have learned long ago, but I can't seem to help myself.

"Ramsay. Is there any particular reason why he was chosen for me?" I wonder, and suddenly my father is standing swiftly, nearly toppling over in his haste.

His figure is rotund and solid, barreling towards me with precision as he narrows his eyes down at me.

"He wasn't chosen for you. His clan was chosen for our clan, to make it stronger. Did you really think any of this has to do with you? Are you really daft enough to assume I thought of you one bit when I made this decision?"

My mouth clicks shut, my jaw hardening because I already know the answer.

I'm not that daft, but I could certainly wish as hard as the day is long.

Father gets even closer to me, lumbering down the cobblestone steps until he's right before me, hands on his hips and face scrunched and red.

"You are selfish, lass. All you do is think of yourself."

Tears spring to my eyes because maybe he's right.

"But if I marry, I'll die." I say, my voice sounding as hollow as I feel.

I dont blink before something hard connects to my face at a dizzying speed. I'm thrown to the side, toppling into the floor as my cheek begins throbbing.

Reaching for the wound, I curl in on myself to prevent further damage from coming my way, but I dont exactly have much of a choice.

"You are my property, you dont get a say in what I decided to do with you." A harsh kick lands in my stomach, and I cry out, wrapping my arms around myself as he kicks me a second time. This time I am less fortunate as the boot makes a direct hit to my face, likely splitting my lip. "If I decide to break what is mine, there is no harm done."

Another kick, and another. So many that I lose count and my arms lose their hold around my frame, giving up the fight to keep myself together any longer.