38 - Day of Reckoning

Fraser

     When I smell Laird Sinclair, my stomach instantly sours, my hunger disappearing into nothing.

     "What the bloody hell is going on here?" He roars.

     My teeth pause on Ailsa's delicate skin, horror washing over me at the realization of what's happening hits me.

     The next few seconds are a whirlwind of movement that seem to take place in slow morion.

     Guards rushing in, my mate screaming, me trying to hold onto her even as she's dragged away from me. She bucks against the human male that holds her captive, and she yelps.

     My vision goes red.

     "Let her go, you bastard!" I yell, reaching desperately through the bars, banging and yanking on the silver even as it sizzles my skin.

     "What have you done to her?" Laird Sinclair demands, swinging his heady little eyes from me to his frantic daughter.

     The guard holding her has a bruising grip around her arms, and I snarl at the sight. He's hurting her.

     "What have I done? What have I done?" I question, my voice loud and animalistic. Anyone would hear my words and know for certain I am anything but human.

    Laird Sinclair has the nerve, the audacity to grab Ailsa's chin and jerk her head to the side to look into her eyes.

     "Did he poison your mind, lass? Did he control your mind like a wee puppet?" He asks, and I want to rip his hand off for touching her.

     I've known all this time that she was being mistreated, but seeing it is something else entirely. The rage it fuels in me is unparalleled.

     "Let me go!" Ailsa screams, and I feel the strength of it in my gut, like a punch straight to my middle.

     "Answer the damn question, lass! Did he sway you! Are you his whore?" He father yanks on her hair to get her to stay still, and a snarl climbs my throat as I grab the bars and yank.

     The bars groan, my palms sting. I pull again, and again, my mates screams cheering me on.

     "Please." Her voice is softer than the breeze now, gentle, begging.

     I snap, as do the silver bars in my grip. They fall and crumble at my feet. My mate's blood runs in my veins, and the knowledge of that has me prowling out of my cage that I've been locked in. I stare down at my blistered hands for a split second, not believing it.

     Not waiting much longer, I pounce. Wide, terror filled human eyes watch in horror as I grab the male holding my mate. She collapses as my hands grip his head, turning it to the side in one harsh movement that sends a crackling bouncing off the dull, brick walls. Bricks I've counted, bricks I've memorized. I've had nothing but time.

    I swoop down, taking a sobbing Ailsa in my arms and inhaling her hair as she trembles against my chest. I'm holding her, I'm actually holding her. I'm shocked at the slight weight of her, shes a slip of a lass.

    "My wee, little mate." I murmur against her, threading my fingers through the silken strands of her golden, honey hair. "Shhh, shhh, it's alright."

    I say it, but its not true. I glare at her father over her head, and his face is pale, dripping in sweat. He's terrified, as he should be.

    I rise, laying my sweet Ailsa on the ground as I face the other males in the dungeons. I'm panting. My lack of blood wearing me thin and making me sluggish.