34 - Sparrow's Nest

Ailsa

As soon as I returned home, my mother dragged me to my room where a new dress awaited me.

It's a pretty beaded thing with green silk and delicate lace trim, something so nice that I gasp at the sight of it. I've never been allowed something so beautiful.

Soon after admiring it I'm pushed into a seat as Mother and Gentry begin to fuss over my hair.

"Where have you been? The woods? This closer resembles a sparrow's nest than a young lady's hair!" Mother clicks her tongue, pulling through the strands of hay colored waves with a boar hair brush.

It snags on tangles enough times to make my scalp sting before it glides through uninterrupted.

"Make no mistake, lass, you will be shining like a jewel when the Ramsays arrive. They'll be here before supper, so we don't have much time."

I stare at my mothers reflection in the mirror before me, she stands over my shoulder as she assess me and all the work she has.

A frown so deep maims her face that I fear it'll become permanent soon.

"Aye, there is much to be done."

My face is washed and I'm wiped down with a sponge. Gentry gently arranges my hair while mother pinches my cheeks and pulls my undergarments on. I'm dashed with rose water and stood up like a doll to be dressed and prepped for pretend play.

Soon all that is left is the gorgeous dress, and after it's on and I have to turn to my dusty mirror, I hardly even recognize my own reflection.

Gentry smiles brightly, and mother's scowl has lessened. I'd say they're satisfied with their job.

Mother hurries to leave as commotion erupts downstairs. That means they've arrived.

The door closes and Gentry is hugging me, her strength crushing me to her easily.

I won't fight it though, her touch is comforting, especially at a time like this.

"I'm so sorry, Ailsa. I tried to stop it, believe me, I did, lass. I tried but..."

"But my father is a stubborn man." I finish for her, tipping my head back to look at her face, her eyebrows drawn together. "And what he wants, he gets."

Gentry's eyes brim with sorrow.

She doesn't say anything, but we both know I'm right.

The clan is bustling with excitement at the visitors that have joined us. Everyone is gathered together in the dining hall as food is served and ale is poured.

I can hardly hear or think over the noise, and I hardly touch my food as I can feel numerous eyes on me. My family. My clan. The ramsays.

I'm beginning to feel hot and flustered at the unwanted attention.

My husband to be meets my eyes several times, catching my discreet observations every time.

Since I can't look at him long without making eyecontact, there's very little I can pick up on, but it's enough to know I'm going to be marrying a boy.

His face is decorated in red dots, his hair greesy and flat, flat blue eyes hungry and curious as he watches the low neckline of my new dress.

I have to look down as I wonder what it is that's drawing his gaze there. My face flushes when I spot the line between my breasts on full display. My plump chest is pushed up and out for all to see.