57 - Bait

Ailsa

I watch the valley below with hungry, rapt attention as a group of humans whooped and hollered. They're drinking and staggering, laughing as if theres nothing to be worried about in the shadows.

My body sizzles, posed and ready to strike. Speed building. Venom flooding my mouth.

"Hold back, my love, there's time." The words disrupt the haze of animalistic thoughts swarming inside my head. I had been overrun by wildness not 3 seconds ago, but now the scent and sound of my mate.

He stands more firmly than the trees surrounding us, and I find myself leaning back into his warm bulk for support as I scout out my very first prey as an immortal.

"What do I do?" I croak, voice crackling from dissuse and thirst. Oh the thirst.

My mouth and lips are dry, I lick the outside of my mouth subtly, watching the humans as they continue to be unreasonably roundy as alcohol is passed around and cheers erupt all around.

Fraser shifts, ducking his head down by my shoulder to geyt a better look at the selection.

"Well, with how drunk they all are, it wont be hard to lure one of them away." I cringe, feeling as if we're demeaning these living souls to resemble cattle rather than people. "Although, not drunk enough to ignore you if you rushed down there and attacked."

There's humor in his voice as he puts his hand on my neck, gently massaging almost to reassure me.

"I wasn't going to do that." I insist defensively, pushing away the pangs of hunger at watching them.

"I know, but you shoudl've seen yourself."

"What did I look like?" I wonder.

Fraser leans down again, pulling my hair aside to whisper in my ear.

"Like a cat watching a mouse. But don't worry, lass, its only natural." My face burns red hot, and I move to cover my hot cheeks. Fraser laughs at my tell. "That's what I am here for. To guide you. I would'nt leave you to face this on your own."

I turn to stare at him, biting the inside of my lips in contemplation.

"But you did nt have to learn all of this stuff, you were born like this. It's not fair for you to scold me."

His brown eyes are lighter in the moonlight, swirling with rich flecks of gold and amber. My human perception led me to believe his eyes were a flatter shade, but I now have the benefit of true vision to show me how beautiful the world around me really is.

Those amazing eyes dance with amusement.

I'm lucky he humors me, i tuck away my shy smile.

"You're right, the experience is going to be different, but my parents also had to teach me how to hunt and eat responsibly. They taught me how to keep myself and other's safe, and I'm glad they did, because now I can teach you."

Warmth floods my chest, and I know it to be love.

"What were your parents like?" I ask, and his head tilts in surprise. He hadn't expected me to ask that. "It's only fair. You know all too well about how awful my own parents were."

He nods, glancing behind me momentarily.

"My mother was very kind. The strong type of kind, where she looked for the best in others, but didnt let it cloud her judgement. She died when I was young."