15 - Wee thing

Ailsa

     My trek down the stairs to visit Fraser is solemn today. Although I'm as excited to see Fraser as any other night, this time is different. Those other times that I came to him there wasn't a dark cloud hanging over me.

     I keep my head held high, feigning confidence as I keep my expression guarded.

     "So, you're back." A familiar, rough voice says. "I was wondering when you'd show up."

     I shrug, putting down my lantern and sitting cross legged on the ground before his cage door, looking up at him through my lashes. His bearded face is as handsome as ever, even when shrouded with darkness.

     "What happened to your face?"

     I tilt my head to the side, gently pressing my fingertips to the delicate skin around my eye. I thought the wounds from my fall were hardly noticeable. Clearly I was wrong. If this man could see it through the blackness, than it was more obvious than I had originally thought.

     "A horse. I don't ride particularly well." I say, laying the book that I brought into my lap and opening it to the marked page where I left off.

     "Then who let you on a damn horse?" His voice is like venom.

     I glance up curiously at his sudden cursing.

     Fraser rarely shows any kind of emotion. Good. Bad. Doesn't matter, you never really knew what he was feeling. And this is no different.

     His face is blank, despite the sudden outburst he just showed. I can't imagine for the life of me why he cares.

     "Don't worry, the horse is fine. Maybe a bit annoyed, but otherwise unfazed." I take my hand away from the mark. "I'm the one who got the worst of it."

     I keep my eyes on the book, letting the uncomfortable silence draw out. 

     "Who cares about the bloody horse?" This time, his voice is quieter, full of malice.

     I laugh, a giggle more like, shaking my head at him as he looks away. It seems Fraser cares for me after all, even if it is just a little bit.

     But our time together is running out.

     My laughter dies in my throat, and the book in my lap becomes blurry through a slight haze of tears.

      "Truth is I'm meant to learn how to ride." I admit. "I have a long journey ahead at some point, I'm sure."

     That's the end of that, and I'm ready to move on, wiping at my eyes and sighing.

    "I brought you some food, as well as a book."

     "I dont need you to feed me, lass." He looks me up and down. "At least not with your food." Fraser adds on a whisper. My eyebrows scrunch, wondering what he could be alluding to.

     "Everyone needs food." I insist, thinking about the few, scarce bites I took at supper. "Some less than others I 'spect."

     He lifts his broad shoulder, adjusting against the wall as he folds his arms.

     "Some more than others." He agrees, actually agrees with me, and I'm shocked to say the least.

     I pull the food from my pocket, lifting the morsels to show him.

     "I went through a lot of trouble to bring this to you. I was almost caught, in fact. So, you will take it whether you want it or not." I say firmly.