Chapter 19

Recap:

"I knew it wasn't Elena because I'm not a normal vampire," Belle smiled. Stefan chuckled and the two walked.

"I have to go." Stefan murmured as he stopped. Belle nodded as he sped away. She continued to walk in the dark, longing to see Elijah. Someone was watching her. Ever so carefully, the figure aimed a dart at Belle's neck and aimed it. Belle was knocked out and the figure appeared. Looking down at the unconscious girl, the figure picked her up and sped off into the dark.

*********
Chapter 19:

Damon, Dean and Stefan were at the boarding house, laughing as they recalled old memories. Elena sat with rapt attention as she heard how Damon and Dean were like mischievous twins, even though the latter was older. She was a little and when Damon spoke of how Dean went away to a boarding school for army training. His father, Giuseppe had told his wife and Damon that Dean had died. Dean divulged that Giuseppe told him that his mother, Lily Salvatore, died in childbirth along with an infant.

After a while, Dean chuckled as he pulled out his phone. He looked at the screen, expecting to see a message from Belle.

"That's odd." He murmured as Damon handed him a drink.

"What's up?" Stefan asked.

"Belle. She usually lets me know if she's staying out. It's way past midnight." Dean was slightly worried.

"I'm sure she's okay." Damon spoke. The brothers talked about their old human lives, but Dean couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Suddenly, he leapt up.

"I'm gonna go and look for her."

"What? I'm sure she's fine." Damon sighed. He looked at his older brother who was stood by the door.

"It won't hurt to look." Dean sighed.

*After 20 minutes*

Dean was back after scouring Mystic Falls for his best friend.

"Damon!" Dean's eyes were wide as he walked into the boarding house. "Damon, I can't find Belle. It's like she's just...vanished."

"You don't think, Katherine...?" Elena trailed off as she pulled on her jacket.

"Nah, from what I saw, Belle can handle Katherine." Stefan murmured. When the other three looked at him, he continued "Well, a few hours ago, Belle and I were walking when Katherine appeared. She was pretending to be you, Elena, and I never saw through the charade, but Belle did." Stefan smiled as he added "Belle gave Katherine one of those witchy brain freezes."

"Damn." Damon murmured in awe.

"Didn't you say that Belle and Elijah are close?" Elena asked Dean.

"Yeah, they're lovers. At least they were." Dean added with a frown.

"We gotta go to the original mansion. Maybe Klaus or Elijah know. I mean, she's got history with them." Damon murmured thoughtfully.

*a while later*

Dean, Damon and Stefan were stood outside the Original Mansion, with the oldest of the Salvatore brothers looking apprehensive.

"Relax, brother." Damon smirked.

"I can't. Klaus and I never parted on good terms the last time we met." Dean sighed. He relaxed his hunched over shoulders and walked towards the mansion, with Damon and Stefan exchanging a nervous glance before following their oldest brother.

Inside the mansion, Klaus was staring at Dean with his mouth slightly open.

"Seen a ghost?" Dean smirked.