Chapter 39:

Recap:

"What's wrong?" Rose asked.

"Until you pass I'm in pain." Bonnie gritted her teeth. Bonnie looked to where Rose was stood. "Are you ready?"

"Not really." Rose chuckled nervously. "Tell them all I'm sorry and that it's none of their fault. Tell them after I've gone or passed or whatever."

Rose looked at the others one last time and closed her eyes as she walked to Bonnie.

"Are you ready now?" Bonnie asked in a quiet voice, a tear falling.

Rose smiled even though fresh tears fell. "I'm ready."

"Take my hands." Bonnie held her hands out.

The others stared at her hands. Bonnie inhaled as soon as Rose's palms touched hers. She let out a pained yell and Elena rushed towards her. "She's...gone." Bonnie gasped as she stumbled.

Chapter 39:
*********
"You look awful." A set of heavy curtains was pulled back, making Elijah blink rapidly in the sudden bright sunlight. "Come on, you need to get ready. You've been cooped up here far too long."

"Leave me be, Rebekah." Elijah murmured.

"I can't do that." Rebekah sighed and stood still. "Elijah...Rose is...I'm sorry, but she's gone. You need to pull yourself together. She's not coming back."

Elijah did not respond. Instead, he stared at his empty tumbler, remnants of amber drops clinging on to the sides.

"Elijah," Rebekah murmured softly, "It's been a month."

"One month, one week, 6 days and 17 hours, to be exact." Elijah spoke bitterly.

"You know exactly how long it's been?" Rebekah was stunned.

"She's been on my mind every second of every day since she went." Elijah said without emotion.  "How can I forget?"

"I'm sorry." Rebekah murmured softly. "I know you're hurting. But she's in a better place now."

"Really?" Elijah asked. "What, you think she's found peace?"

"Yeah." Rebekah walked towards her older brother and touched his shoulder. "I know she has. She was a pure hearted soul and she was amazing. I guess she was too good for this world."

The corners of Elijah's mouth turned upwards slightly. "She deserved better."

"And she got it." Rebekah said kindly. "She was loved by you, one of the best men I know. Elijah, even though you can be a pain in the arse, you're my brother and you have taken care of me. You have defended me when it comes to Nik and Kol. You've been there for me." Rebekah walked towards Elijah and stooped down to face him. "You've done so much for me. Maybe more than I deserve."

Elijah looked at her, his eyes blank; he did not register what she had said. "How is Dean? Thomas?"

"Dean isn't holding up and Thomas...Thomas is...well, he's a mess." Rebekah sighed sadly. "You know, he attacked Caroline?"

Elijah's eyes shot up.

"She's okay, unfortunately." Rebekah rolled her eyes. "Stefan managed to snap Thomas' neck before he staked her."

"Where is he now?"

"I've compelled him to stay put at the Salvatore Boarding House. He's holed up in his bedroom, drinking."

"He misses his sister." Elijah stood up.

"As we all do. Where are you going?" Rebekah stood up too.