Chapter 1

Summer rolled over, turning off her alarm and checking the time. It was now officially the start of her second year at MIT for graduate school.

"Avery, it's 815" Summer said going into her roommate's room and sitting on the computer chair in there to tie her sneakers.

"Already" Avery groaned while Summer giggled. Avery was smart as hell but not a morning person.

"If you're getting breakfast, bring me back something and I'll eat it after my 830" Summer said.

"Sure, I'll be gone by 930. We'll catch up at lunch" Avery said before Summer nodded and left.

She took the five minute walk from her dorm to her class building. She set up her laptop and iPad while waiting for her professor to walk in. The first class of the day: computer coding. She found that taking harder classes earlier in the day woke her up quicker.

"Hi" a man said sitting beside her as she looked up.

"Oh hi, good morning" she answered.

"I'm Chase".

"Summer, nice to meet you" she smiled quickly as she took his hand and shook it.

"Likewise, second year" he asked.

"Yup, you?"

"Yes, thankfully. We're pretty much halfway through if you're doing the two year route" he said.

"Two and a half. I wasn't full time my first semester so I'll have about two classes to take after this year is over" she told him and he nodded.

"Well at least the workload will be lighter your last semester. You can really focus on closing it out with a high GPA".

"That is the upside" she shrugged before gesturing to the front of the class where the professor was.

They listened intently as their professor, Mr. Wilkinson, spoke about the plan for the semester. He was an older guy, maybe early 50s, so they were shocked he was even teaching this class. However, he knew exactly how to teach it and made it very clear they could not half ass just because he's old.
Summer took all the necessary notes until Mr. Wilkinson said his final words at 1020 AM and let the class leave.

"Which dorm do you stay in?" Chase asked as they exited the building.

"Ashdown, not far" she said pointing to the general area "you?"

"Edgerton. We'll see each other around then".

"Can't hurt. Plus, we'll need all the studying we can get".

"True. Bye Summer" he smiled.

"Bye Chase" Summer said before taking the path back to her building.

Avery was gone obviously but there was a note and a waffle in the kitchen. Summer grabbed the syrup then went to the couch to eat.
She and Avery met at orientation and have been best friends since. The first semester they each had different roommates. Summer's dropped out and Avery's got married so with a couple of letters they were able to room together instead of wait for new assignments. Those new assignments probably would've been shit.

Summer Young is here for her Masters in Computer Science, on her way to be the best damn female software analyst anyones ever seen. She didn't really care what field she ended up in but she would kick ass, that's for sure.
Her parents had equally impressive careers, her mom being a lawyer and her father being an engineer, so she naturally had big shoes to fill. She didn't mind though, she loved a challenge.

She wouldn't call herself cocky but she breezed through high school with a 4.0 GPA as student body president, vice president of a feminist support club, and of course valedictorian. Then she got an academic scholarship to MITs undergraduate program where she majored in computer science and minored in aerospace engineering, just for fun, and finished with a 3.9 GPA, 3x deans list, and president of a female coding club. She wouldn't have called it a breeze but now she's sitting at MITs graduate program which is 2/3 male populated. This would be no different.