Chapter 11

As the weeks went on, Summer and Connor were able to seem less phased by the break up. Were they over it, not in the slightest, but they could save face around each other.
When class ended, Summer left the building to wait for Avery. They were planning to head to the library together. She looked up from the text that Avery sent saying she was down the street just as a car pulled up.

It was Connor's Mercedes she knew that, but who would be driving it. Seconds later, Connor came out of building. He paused as he passed her, but thought it would be best not to say anything.

He opened the passenger door then went to the drivers side of the car to open it and let the woman out. The woman went to get in the car but Connor hesitated, looking past the car at Summer.

"Come on babe, lunch" the woman said getting his attention just as Summer turned away and walked to Avery's car.

"Yea, sorry".

"You okay?" Avery asked as Summer got in the car.

"That's Connors car" she said pointing to the Mercedes as it drove away "there was a woman".

"I mean it could be anyone".

"Very unlikely. I guess he's really moving on".

"Don't say it like that".

"No it's fine. I didn't expect him to wait around. I guess seeing it just stings a little. I'm okay".

"Still, I'm sorry".

"It's alright. You and Darren still staying out this weekend?"

"Yea, you know we're going to his work function. The invite is still open for you".

"You sure Darren won't mind?"

"Not at all, I'll check with him if it makes you feel better. Get sexy and come out with us".

"Why not" Summer shrugged.

///

"Hey, how was the flight?" Joshua asked as Connor got in the car after putting his bag in the backseat.

"Good. Glad I'm home for a little bit".

"Uh huh. How are you?"

"I'm fine".

"Connor, come on. I know how you felt about Summer".

"Maybe I was wrong to feel anyway about her. I can't stay hung up on her forever".

"So you're dating again?"

"Sort of. Went out with this girl, Jocelyn, a couple of times. Wouldn't call her a girlfriend, nor would I say I was interested in changing that. Yesterday I told her that I don't think it's gonna work".

"Connor, you don't have to date. What's your plan, to go out with anyone until you forget her?"

"I know I'm not gonna forget her, I fucking teach her, but that's the problem. I don't know why I got myself into this situation in the first place" Connor sighed.

"Because you like her. Alright, so her dad wasn't exactly fucking with the idea, but that doesn't mean you just give up on it. Now you're just gonna waste your time and money going on pointless dates with women that don't even interest you".

"He wasn't just not fucking with it Joshua, he hit me and he thinks I'm manipulating his daughter. Eventually one of them has to be like her".

"Like Summer?" Joshua asked.

"That's not how I meant it. I just mean eventually I'll find something to actually like in these women".

"Yea sure, and if you don't?"