Chapter 9

"Morning" Avery said, stretching as she walked out into the kitchen.

"Good morning".

"So what's the plan for today?"

"Class then I'm free" Summer told her.

"No plans with Connor?"

"He has work. No plans with Darren?"

"Work. This is what happens when we decide to date adults" Avery groaned and Summer laughed.

"Exactly. We'll do a girls night then, we just have to figure out what to do".

"Sounds good".

They spent the short morning together before they had to start heading to their classes for the day. After her first class Summer walked to the quad to get a smoothie then on to her second class for the day, Connor's. She half smiled as they made eye contact walking up to the door of the classroom.

"Afternoon, Ms. Young, Ms. Prairie" he said to Summer and another student, who Summer hadn't even noticed, while he held the door for them.

"Afternoon Dr. Griffin" Summer smiled, walking into the classroom.

"Hi Connor" the other student said behind her, which completely threw Summer off.

She took her seat among the rest of the students and took out her iPad. She focused on the class best she could, but every time she let her mind wander, she thought about the girl.

When Connor finished his lecture and dismissed the class, Summer started to pack her things in her bag. She checked her phone with a text from Avery that said to call then she looked up again. That same girl stood beside Connor showing him something on her notes and giggling.
'There's not a single topic in this class that would make a girl giggle' Summer thought and rolled her eyes to herself before leaving the class.

"Hey" Avery answered her call.

"Hi, what's up?" 

"There's a little bowling night party thing one of the frats are hosting. Kam and Josie invited us. Wanna go?"

"That sounds fun, why not".

"Okay good. I'm at the library studying then I'll head to the apartment".

"Alright. I just got out of class so I'm heading there now. See you in a bit" Summer said before they got off the phone.

///

When Avery came back, they got ready and drove to the party at the bowling alley.
"Hi, come on" Kamryn said as she and Josie waited at the door for them.

"Hey guys, thanks for inviting us" Avery said.

"Of course, this is the pro of dating frat boys" Josie laughed "we don't gatekeep".

Josie and Kam were friends of Summer and Avery's, but they went to different graduate programs in Boston so they didn't see each other much. They had met in undergrad at MIT and Josie and Kam found boyfriends, then they went their separate ways.

"So what's going on? Obviously you're back with Darren, per your latest Instagram posts" Kam said as they got drinks to start the night.

"Uh yes I am" Avery smiled.

"So I assume things changed, how's it going?"

"It's going really well. He was cautious in the beginning, but I didn't want to put that strain us so I sat him down and we talked it out. Like literally everything. Since we've been all in, it's been great".