one.

THE SUN AND THE FLAME

⎯THE SUN AND THE FLAME

CHAPTER ONE

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Nyferia had spent 9 years of her life already in King's Landing, as the ward of Queen Alicent of House Hightower, which didn't sound too bad, but Nyferia was nothing like the Green Queen. The women of Dorne were not as obedient as the women in King's Landing, and despite all of the Queen's teachings to the Dornish Princess, she never faltered in her true nature.

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

Even at a young age Nyferia never let her true core be broken. She didn't bring much with her from Sunspear, only her clothes, some Dornish books, a necklace with the Martell sigil, and her three snakes which had frightened the Queen when she first opened the crate.

Her three snakes, which she had found when she was a young girl of 3, and had listened to her whispers, were named like they had been cats. A black King Cobra snake which she named Naga, a brown bushmaster viper which she named Serpico, and a Python with the golden colour of the sun, and the size of a large, which she named Aurea.

Her snakes were larger than average, but not too large that they were a problem from her chamber. They never hurt her, and always defended her. She had to admit she preferred Naga who she had found first, and when Naga raised his head, it would reach her shoulders. While Serpico looked a little smaller until you measured him from head to tail, then he had been longer than Queen Alicent herself. But Aureus had been the biggest. She was able to lie against the side of 2,5 walls of her room and she did not have a small room. She was thick and heavy, and she once ate a lamb which was brought to the Dragonpit.

Helaena had been the fondest of the three snakes that joined the castle and Alicent had been the least fond of them. She had tried and tried again to make the young Princess see, that snakes were not a good pet for a Princess. But Nyferia had ignored the words of the Queen, what was she going to do to the Princess who had three snakes who only listened to her.

Nyferia spend most her time with Princess Helaena, who had been closest to her age, and they had spent most of their studies together anyways. Their studies in sowing, in history and how to be a proper lady.

Nyferia had always worn more Dornish dresses, with golden sun jewellery on her, especially her Martell sigil necklace, it had caused Prince Aegon to comment on them. Even with the fact that the two of them were to wed when the Prince and Princess were 18—even though Aegon was a year older—Aegon had not looked forward to Nyferia to be his wife. He tolerated her, and she tolerated him. But in honestly, Nyferia pitied the Hightower-Targaryen children. They had been raised with the harsh hand of their mother who had only done so because of her father raising her with a harsh hand, and their father had ignored them even further.

King Viserys barely paid attention to them, and Nyferia felt bad for them. For Prince Aegon, Prince Aemond, and Princess Helaena, they had sent Prince Daeron away to Oldtown to become a scholar and squire. Nyferia knew she had too been sent away from her family, but she still received letters from them every week and every year for her name day her family would travel to the capital for the occasion.