twelve.

SUN AND FLAME

⎯SUN AND FLAME

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Shrieks of pain and whimpers of discomfort were heard as Nyferia walked around her room, pushing away the hands of the midwives who were trying to aid her, or the Maester who told her to lay on the bed so they could check the babe.

"No!" she cried as she pushed them off. "It's not time, my child is fine" she cried as she held her belly, she had not felt movement since the pain started, but the pain had gotten only worse. "I want Aegon" she cried. "My Lady it's not proper" the midwife tried to explain. "I do not care what is fucking proper, I want my husband" she snapped, knowing she would regret it later. One of the midwives quickly went to find the Prince, but she didn't have to search long as he stood right behind the door.

"The Princess needs to let the Maester examine her, but she won't listen my Prince" the midwife said, thinking her husband might speak the right words for her to listen. Aegon entered the room, rushing to his wife as he placed one hand on her lower back and one on her belly. "my Sun" Aegon said, his voice was sad, and Nyferia knew she should listen. "It's too soon, Aegon" she said, and his heart ached when she didn't use their usual nicknames. "He won't survive if he's born now" Nyferia cried, but Aegon tried to give her words of comfort. "You won't know unless you bring him to the world, to us" Aegon said and placed one hand on her cheek as tears streamed down both their faces.

"Away" Nyferia said, breathing through another shoot of pain through her body. "I want them away" she said looking at the midwives and Maester. "They'll need to help you, after" Aegon tried but she shook her head. "I will be fine, we'll be fine" she said, and she wasn't sure if she was reassuring Aegon or herself. Aegon nodded and gave them a nod to wait outside as Nyferia grabbed the post of the end of their bed, breathing in and out deeply before she lowered herself to her knees.

"Tell me what to do" Aegon said and looked at his wife. She closed her eyes as she focused on her body, silently pushing as she held onto the bed. "Catch the babe" she said. "Don't let him drop to the floor" she said and Aegon did as he was told, bunching her shift up to see more, and he had never held as much respect for his wife as he did now. "I'm ready" Aegon said and Nyferia groaned out in pain again when Aegon saw the head already appearing, holding his hands closer until the babe slid into his arms. He quickly placing the newborn into his tunic.

The babe was silent, which terrified Nyferia as she held on to the bed as she sat down, readying herself for the afterbirth. "Rub the chest softly" she instructed; she had seen midwives do that. Aegon did as he was told. "Come on, you have the fire of the dragon, my son, I know you can do this" Aegon said and Nyferia made a note to be happy about her son later, when he cried.

And he did.

The newborn babe cried in his father's arms who let out a breath of relief as he called in a midwife to help Nyferia with the afterbirth as he cut the cord carefully with his dagger. Aegon held the babe in his arms as Nyferia regained her strength. "You'll be fine, my Lady" the midwives said as they helped her to get clean, just as another tried to guide the babe towards the clean water to rid him of the blood which was staining the Prince's tunic. Aegon didn't let anyone touch his son, cleaning him, himself, as he kept another eye on Nyferia who soon laid on the bed holding her arms out for her son.