fifteen.

SUN AND THE FLAME

⎯SUN AND THE FLAME

✴︎✴︎✴︎

Unbent, unbowed, unbroken, the words kept ringing into Nyferia's mind as she sailed back to King's Landing, her mind going back to her children, her body still softly ached from childbirth and she could feel the milk in her breast dry up, her only child she had not fed from her own breast. But she could not risk any of her children getting hurt.

When they arrived back at King's Landing, Aegon was waiting for them, not caring much about his council as he rushed towards his wife, wrapping her in his arms. "I'm glad you're safe" he said as he held her. Nyferia buried her face in the crook of his neck as she sighed. Not of relief, but of the stress she felt. She was not looking forward to the war and she ached too much.

"We might not be for too long, Rhaenyra didn't take the offer" Nyferia said as they walked back inside to the Small Council room when she saw the seat of the Hand remained empty, as Otto had been denied, as had Alicent been. "Where is Prince Aemond?" Nyferia asked but before Aegon could explain, Lord Wylde did. "To Storm's End" he said and Nyferia raised her brow at his boldness towards her. She did not dream of being Queen, but she would not let a man like Wylde speak down to her. "It's 'Your Grace'" Nyferia said and Aegon saw a fire glow in her eyes he hadn't seen before. Perhaps it was the danger looming in the air, perhaps it was because she was a Martell.

Perhaps it was because she was a mother, and her children needed to be protected at all costs. "What did Prince Aemond take with him as offer to the Storm Lands then?" she asked as she looked at the remaining Council members. "A proposal of marriage, Your Grace" Lord Beesbury said, he had been slightly against it, he had lived with years of Princess Rhaenyra being the Heir, but in the end, he had heard the words spoken by the King himself, and who was he to question the King.

"For Aemond?" Nyferia asked, looking at her husband. "Aemond offered, he thought a Prince and the King's Hand would change the mind of Lord Baratheon, he is after all, a very prideful man." Aegon said and Nyferia nodded, wondering how Aemond would do. She knew he was well spoken, as was Daeron, and he would do well in the Storm lands, but she didn't like how he had to give up the freedom to choose his own wife for an alliance.

The doors opened and in came a messenger. "My Lords, Your Graces" the messenger said as he walked over to hand a letter to the now King, Aegon, who opened the letter. His eyes quickly scanned the paper before turning to his Council. "Lord Corlys wants to negotiate" Aegon said handing the letter to his wife. She read it, and he spoke the truth, Lord Corlys would stand with the named Heir by the late King, Aegon second of his name, in exchange of letting his grandchildren live. Nyferia silently wondered if he meant Baela and Rhaena or Rhaenyra's children as well as the Sea Snake seemed to adore the so-called sons of Laenor as well.

"We should hear him, Driftmark can be an important asset against Dragonstone" Lord Wylde said as he looked at the King and Queen, as Nyferia kept looking at the letter while Aegon tapped his fingers on the table. "We'll invite him to King's Landing, in peace with the promise that no harm will befall him or his blood related kin" Aegon said as the messenger nodded and grabbed a paper for Aegon to write the message. "I will further discuss this with my Queen and my Hand once he returns from Storm's End" Aegon said, signing the letter and handing it back.