four.

THE SUN AND THE FLAME

⎯THE SUN AND THE FLAME

CHAPTER FOUR

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Princess Nyferia never expected her to be in this situation, clutching onto Prince Aegon's hand as she watched the coffin of Lady Laena be pulled to the sea, all the while in Dorne her own mother was buried after having given birth to her younger sister; Coryanne. Yet, she was now a part of House Targaryen, or rather soon would be, so she was not allowed to choose her own family above that of her betrothed. She didn't even remember the Lady Laena; she had been too young when the Lady and Prince Daemon left for Essos.

She didn't even understand a word of Valyrian that Vaemond was saying, all she knew as that since the fight between ser Harwin and ser Criston, the Strongs had been send away from court to Harrenhal where they were met with the curse of the old Castle, and the Queen's father, Otto Hightower had been made Hand again.

The Hand's first act was giving the Queen an idea to wed Princess Helaena to Prince Daeron, to strengthen House Targaryen against Rhaenyra, and to keep her daughter safe from any marriage proposals from Rhaenyra's bastard children to her daughter like she planned before. The Queen had reluctantly agreed, Prince Daeron would return to King's Landing once he turned 18 and he'd wed his sister. It would not be for another couple of years, the young Prince was only 8 now, and studying in Oldtown.

Nyferia knew that now that she had bled, she'd soon be wed as well. It had been something her father had agreed upon with the Hightowers and with Otto Hightowers return, she knew she would not be safe from any marriages any time soon, not that she disliked Aegon, they had grown quite close, but she could not imagine herself wed at 13 now.

Once everyone was allowed to walk back to the balcony for some drinks and food, she felt slightly at ease again, still holding Aegon's hand as she watched everyone. She didn't like being here, she would much rather be in Dorne.

Princess Nyferia looked around until she saw the two young daughters of Lady Laena and for the first time since they arrived—and even before—she let go of Aegon's hand as she walked towards the two girls, now knowing how much of her sympathies towards them she was about to regret. "I am sorry for your loss; I know it's not easy" she said kneeling before them. Baela and Rhaena nodded and held Nyferia's hand as she gave them a small smile before she walked back again to Aegon and Aemond. "Do you think Daeron would make Helaena happy?" Aemond asked, as he looked at his sister, he wondered why Daeron had been chosen instead of him, he had been growing up beside her, and he knew her. "I think so. Your grandsire tells great stories about your brother and how well his studies go" Nyferia said to Aemond, and he nodded, all he wanted was for his sister to be happy.

Nyferia had watched the sun set and had quickly returned to her chamber which she shared with Princess Helaena because Driftmark didn't have enough rooms for everyone to be in separate ones. "Are you alright? I know you wanted to go to Dorne" Helaena said as they laid in bed, dressed in their nightgowns. "I could be better, but Aegon has been really helping me through everything. I feel like he is really trying" Nyferia said.