29 # Misfire

Hello

Next update .
Apologies in advance as updates would be delayed.Ignore errors and typos .

Happy reading 💕

____

{ The part where things take a turn -
For good or bad ?}
______

The switch was smooth as butter. You wouldn't even know this is the same person holding your hand a few minutes back with a warm gaze and smiling at you.Back was the man, who took business seriously, didn't take no for an answer, and was all prepared to lodge a war, Swara thought.

Sanskaar almost read her thoughts. He didn't climb up the ladder of professional success just like that. Did he? He took his time assessing people , gauging their strengths and weaknesses, and playing them to his advantage. He knew what ticks and what works and waited for the right time to strike.

Swara Bose rattled his mind definitely but he couldn't let go of who he was as a person. Strong-headed, stubborn … and Swara was the same. And finding a middle road is going to be a hell of a task.

Well! Isn't that the fun part and they are so drawn to each other? He smiled within. 

“So …

-----------

Swara listened in silence. The gist of the discussion: Instead of rent she could turn into EMI which would let her have a place for herself in a year or two. They could work with the finance team and reach an agreeable amount …which would fit her budget. 

“What if I quit Maheswari Inc in between?” Swara posed a question and watched his eyes turn sharp on her. No, she had no plans to quit any sooner unless something beyond her control forced her to, but if they were discussing a proposal it had to be done right!

“You don't plan to. Do you?” Sanskaar kept his tone neutral though the thought was unsettling, he wasn't letting her see it. Masking is one of his best traits and god knows he does it wonderfully. “ Well! Either way the offer stands open till payment reaches the right place. We can't force people to stay if they want to leave.” 

The prospect was appealing,  tempting and she saw no harm. It might take many years for her to own such a place but… Swara slowly got up from her place and moved towards the window. The view before her of the garden was beautiful and she could see a swing, little flower pots lined up in vibrant colors adding a touch of magic … 

She pulled herself out of the trance this place seems to be pulling her into.

“Would you extend the same privilege to other employees of Maheswari Inc ..or ?” She paused, her eyes still fixed on the greenery but his presence behind her was electric. She drew in a breath

“ No!” His voice brushed her skin. This was an exception he was making for her. He already had approval from his dad and had been working in the background with teams to ensure a smooth setup. Did he have to spell out again and again …how special she is for him and the extent he is willing to bend rules for her. He didn't expect her to jump in joy and dash into his arms .. though he would have loved such a reaction .. he didn't expect her to look withdrawn either.

“Has this got to do with anything that happened…” Her voice trembled as she finished the words …. “Last night?” She turned to look at him and knew it was a mistake.

She just pressed the wrong nerve.

---------------

At that moment, Sanskaar realized the power Swara held over him. She could hurt him if she chose to. Unconsciously he took a step back almost as if jolted at the realization. Wasn't this the reason he locked himself all these years? But with Swara, he tossed all the plans out and chose to let go after a long trial. He fell for her hard and fast and now…

With that came anger that she thought of him so low…again.

----------

She had seen him step back from her and only confirmed that she was wrong to give into her momentary thought. … Then in two quick steps, he backed her to the wall. There was something so cold in his eyes, Swara felt a shiver down her spine. 

“For Once and all, I am going to ignore you ever made such a statement, Swara Bose ” His voice lowered by degrees. It felt  like frostbite, sharp and stinging.” He lowered his face so he could level with her eyes.  “Last night, should I remind you that it was not planned by either of us … or If you could recall, you pushed me to the edge and wanted answers, Remember?”

Swara lowered her eyes. 

“Look at me,” It was a command and her eyes flicked up to him and she read a storm brewing up, wild and violent. His lips almost came close to brushing hers as he breathed those words, “I touched you last night because you let me.” Trembling, Swara closed her eyes …only to find him placing distance between them in the next minute.

“I don't owe you any explanation, but here are your answers, Miss Bose. I am not some magician to turn things in overnight. I have been working on this from the time of our discussion. If last night we could have come close to killing each other still or  if nothing happened,  you would have been here, because I …

-----

Those words danced on the tip of his tongue but the hurt was fresh … “You know what? Just forget it. “He turned away

“I will ask one of the guys from the housing team to take you around to places of your liking so you wouldn't have any wrong assumptions.  Let's leave.” 

Swara stood in silence. How a wrong word can flip the equation, she had just been witness to it. And only she has to blame. There was pain and fear … over losing the one she wanted, ending something beautiful before it took wings…

She rushed behind him, “Sanskaar, I didn't mean to..” and stumbled back at the force he turned to face her.  “I know exactly what you meant, Swara Bose, and you better not let me spell it out.”

 The warning was hard to miss…so was the coldness hanging between them…

-------------

Love
Lucky 💕