Chapter Three

Faye waited at the bridge with the girl, Octavia. 

"How long have you known Lincoln?" She asked. She had spent the past hour pacing back and forth, twisting the edge of her jacket sleeve.

"We were children together. He was like a brother to me." Faye answered.

"Do you think your leader will listen?"

"I think Lincoln's very persuasive." Faye told her. Soon Faye wouldn't be able to handle anymore of the girl's questions. She didn't like waiting alone with no weapons, her only company being the girl who was more worried about Lincoln than anything.

Faye stood when she heard rushed footsteps coming from the woods. Finn came into the bridge with a blonde girl following him.

"So that's how you set this up. You helped him escape, didn't you?" The blonde girl asked Octavia.

"I trust him, Clarke."

"There's a lot of that going around." Clarke looked at Finn.

Clarke finally noticed the Grounder with a hood over her head. 

"Clarke, this is Faye. She a friend of Lincoln's." Finn gestured to Faye who stared at Clarke.

"I'm Clarke." The girl held out her hand but quickly pulled it back when she saw Faye had no interest in shaking it.

They all turned at the sound of footsteps on the other end of the bridge. 

"Someone's coming." Finn said.

Octavia met Lincoln halfway on the bridge and they embraced each other.

Soon the next sound was hooves against the ground. Horses broke through the tree line with riders on them.

"Oh, my God. Horses!" Clarke said with wide eyes.

Faye was going to ask if they had any in space but thought better of it. She wasn't here to talk to them, she was only there for Lincoln.

Finn ran forward with Clarke holding his hand. "Hey, we said no weapons." He reminded Lincoln.

"I was told there wouldn't be."

"It's too late now." Clarke said.

Finn tried to walk forward but Lincoln stopped him. "She goes alone."

Finn looked down at Clarke. "I'll be fine." She assured him.

"Clarke."

"Hey. It's time to do better." Clarke walked to the middle of the bridge alone. 

When they met in the middle, Clarke raised her hand in the same greeting gesture but then dropped it once more.

From the woods just below the bridge, Raven, Bellamy, and Jasper all watched what was happening.

"Who's that?" Raven asked, she looked through her spyglass one more time to make sure she saw clearly. 

"I don't know." Bellamy said. "Looks like another Grounder." 

"Grounder princess looks pissed." Raven took another look at the bridge.

"Our princess has that effect." Bellamy said. He looked again at the bridge. 

Faye watched Clarke and Anya talk, but someone came from the woods and shouted at Clarke. There were loud noises coming from the weapons that the sky people carried. 

One of the Grounders hidden in the trees fell and another released an arrow aimed at Clarke. Clarke dropped to the ground.

Everyone retreated back to their own sides. Faye watched Lincoln jump in front of an arrow to protect Octavia.

"Oh, my God! Lincoln! You've been hit."

"It's just a scratch." He said. He broke the arrow shaft and threw it on the ground. "Okay, run, don't stop till you get behind your walls. Go! Take her!" Lincoln let Octavia go so Finn and Clarke could push her towards their camp.

"Lincoln, no!" Octavia cried.

"Go!"

Lincoln and Faye stood on the bridge, now cleared of people.

"Let's go." Faye said. "Idiots. All of you." She said. The entire way back to the cave was her ranting about how stupid they all were and how the plan was never going to work.

"At least I tried." Lincoln said.

"Tried, failed, and made things worse." Faye turned to keep walking.

"Hey, you've only been in this war for a few days. You're a Nightblood, not the Commander." 

They both stood apart from each other. 

"I'm sorry." Lincoln said as he realized what he said.

"You're right. I'll let you handle this war." Faye said.