Chapter Forty-Five

When it was dark, and they had all eaten, Faye walked along the water until she found Bellamy, alone in the dark.

"Let me guess, you came here to fix things." He said, hearing her footsteps in the sand. "Worheda, the peace keeper." 

"I just came to see if you were okay." Faye shrugged.

"Well, I don't need your help." It felt like a slap in the face, because when she was hurt and needed someone, she let him in. But he only pushed her away.

She watched the sea, letting the words settle. She refused to walk away and give up.

"Faye. I've lost her." He looked at the light of the fire.

"Give her time, Bellamy. There may be blood on your hands, but it's not Lincoln's." She told him.

"Some of it is. You should know that because of me, he's dead." Bellamy said.

"Maybe. But you didn't want that to happen. You tried to stop it. Octavia will forgive you eventually. None of us are proud of the blood on our hands, but guilt does not help the dead." 

Even by the sound of his voice, she could tell he was fighting back tears. "Forgiveness is hard for us." He looked at Faye for a moment. "I was so angry at you for leaving me in the mountain. I don't wanna feel that way anymore."

"You're not the only one angry about it, and I don't blame you. People can change. Maybe you'll get that someday. We're only human, Bellamy. We all need each other. What we're doing now, the only way we can get through this is together."

Whether they could understand the way they looked at each other would remain between them, but maybe one day they could say it out loud.

She pulled him into a comforting embrace. She wished it all away. Every mistake, every death, and every goodbye. Right now they were together on the beach and finally understood each other more than ever. 

Bellamy held tight, not wanting to let go. Faye made sure he knew he could trust her. She wouldn't make the same mistake again.

All they could hear was each other breathing and the waves hitting the sand. Soon a third sound, the sound of heavy breathing and water splashing. 

Bellamy looked at the water. He reached for his gun but was pulled down to the ground.

Faye attempted to reach for her swords, but her hands were pulled far behind her head. 

Their mouths were covered as their attackers held crossbows aimed at them.

- - -

Octavia threw down her weapon when she saw the Grounders. 

"No, no. It's okay." She told Jasper. 

Faye and Bellamy were shoved into the circle of light cast by the fire.

"Who are you? Why did you signal?" A man asked.

"Ai laik Okteivia kom Skaikru en aigaf goutthru klir." 

"Skaikru, bringers of death. Why should we give you safe passage?" The same man asked, then his men held up their weapons.

"Lincoln. He sent us."

"Remove their gags and release their hands." The man ordered the others.

Faye and Bellamy stood up the second their hands were free. 

"What's going on?" Bellamy whispered to Octavia. 

"I don't know." She told him.

The man pulled out a leather pouch, offering Octavia a small vial of liquid.

"What is that?" Clarke asked.

"Safe passage." The man answered.

"What does it do?" Jasper asked as the man handed them all a vial. He got no answer but took the glass.

Octavia took off the cap and drank it. "Octavia, wait." Bellamy warned her, but it was too late.

"I trust Lincoln." She told them.

"If only she drinks, only she goes."

"See you on the other side." Jasper raised his vial.

Faye raised the rim of the glass to her lips, drinking every drop of the sour liquid.

"Oh, crap." Jasper said when he saw Octavia and Faye start to lose balance and close their eyes. 

Bellamy reached to catch Faye, but the Grounder held him back.

"Oh, god." Jasper followed the girls to the ground.

"Last chance." The man told Bellamy and Clarke.

The Grounder said something to one of his men as Clarke and Bellamy took the vials.

- - -

When they all woke up, they found themselves in a metal crate, where the only light came from small holes in the walls and ceiling.

"Where the hell are we?" 

"Our swords are gone." Octavia said, reaching for her own and looking at Faye.

"Guns, too." Jasper said.

Clarke reach in her pocket, making sure the Flame was still safe.

There was a loud bang on the door and they all stood up to see Octavia banging on the metal.

The doors opened, letting in a flood of light that blocked out the image of the people outside.

"Luna." Octavia said, amazed by the woman she saw. 

"Where's Lincoln?" She asked, her voice was soft.

"Lincoln is dead." Octavia told her.

"Lincoln said you could help us." Clarke said, stepping forward to meet the woman dressed in fishnets and metal pieces. 

"Did he?" Luna tilted her head.

"Not only Lincoln, but Lexa as well. And her spirit has chosen you to become the next Commander."

Luna's face shifted, the first sign of emotion from her, but she was still clearly shocked. "Faye?" Her brows furrowed only slightly when she saw the blonde who spoke up. 

"Titus entrusted us with the Flame to give to you." Faye told her.

"You should have known not to come here, asking this of me. I swore never to kill again." Luna reminded her.

"You don't have to kill. To lead is your birthright, how you lead is your choice. Here." Faye requested the Flame from Clarke. "We all knew it was always meant for you." 

She held the Flame in her hand. 

"I recognize the sacred symbol, but what is that?" She asked.

"This is the Flame. It holds the spirits of the Commanders, of Lexa. Will you take it and become the next Commander?" 

They all waited for her answer, their spirits quickly brought down as she started to shake her head.

"No." She grabbed Faye's hand, closing it around the Flame. Then she left. 

"What just happened?" Clarke asked. 

"Hey, wait. Luna." Everyone else followed Faye out of the crate and stopped when they saw what was outside. They were surrounded by water on every side.

Left on a giant building in the middle of the ocean, and left without a Commander.