Chapter Forty-Six

The others were taken to eat while Faye followed Luna. 

"You don't understand, Luna." Faye said, rushing to keep up with her and avoid running into people. 

"I understand perfectly. You are too scared so you come to me with this burden. You're too scared so you run from your problems." Luna didn't care to look at Faye when she talked to her, she just kept walking. 

Faye reached out for Luna's hand, stopping her from going any further. "If I'm scared then so are you. We both ran away and we are both here now. My friends need your help and I'm not leaving until you help us." She said. 

Luna finally looked her in the eyes. They were cold and dark, just like Faye remembered. "I might be scared, but at least I know who I am and know where I belong. I know what they call you. The Commander of War. You haven't changed, and it shows." Luna pulled her hand away. 

Faye thought she had failed when Luna turned away, but she still spoke to her.

"I ran because of you. You were like a sister to me. When I fell behind, you trained me to be just as good as you, and I realized you needed someone to beat you. I ran so you could win." Luna told her.

Faye stared at the Flame in her hand. "I told Lexa the same thing. We both ran so someone else could win." When Faye looked up, Luna was close to her, staring at the Flame. 

"Blood bonds. Experience teaches. You are not afraid to be alone, but you're more dangerous because you aren't alone. I have my people to protect, and you have 12 clans to command."

Faye looked out at the open ocean. Luna was isolated and safe. She wasn't selfish for protecting her people, while Faye had refused the Flame for too long. 

"The sea gives and the sea takes. Your friends are waiting."

Faye walked with Luna to find her friends.

"The boats return at nightfall. Then you leave. Forever." 

Faye hung her head, feeling the disappointment from Clarke and Bellamy as they heard Luna's answer.

"Luna, let us explain."

"I said no." Luna told Clarke.

"No, you need to hear this." Bellamy tried to stop Luna, but her guard pushed him aside. "There is something out there that is going to destroy us all." 

"Whatever it is, it can't reach us here." Luna walked past them.

"What happened?" Clarke asked Faye. 

"We're leaving." Faye gave the Flame back to its keeper and then she sat by a fire.

- - -

"Jasper's actually smiling." Bellamy pointed out. Bellamy noticed Clarke watching Faye follow Luna, just how she did Lexa. "Clarke, let it go."

"We can't just leave."

"It's not like we have much of a choice." Octavia said, throwing something into the fire.

"Maybe we do."

"What are you talking about?" Bellamy asked. 

"I'm talking about putting this into her head without asking." 

"No way, Clarke." Octavia said. "This isn't like Emerson, he was trying to kill us." Octavia told her.

"You think I don't know that?" 

"Clarke, we don't have to do this. We can give the AI to Faye tomorrow when we reach shore." Bellamy said. 

"No. I don't like this anymore than you do, but Faye has made her stance on this clear, Luna is our last chance. Give me a better idea." Clarke was trying hard to help Faye, to give her the freedom that she wanted while trying to save their people.