Chapter Thirty-Six

"Lexa?" Faye said after knocking. With no answer, she opened the door and walked in. "Lexa?"

Lexa came out, shocked to see Faye. "I thought you would be getting ready." Lexa said.

"I'm only getting ready to say goodbye." Faye said. "I don't want to fight with you about this. You are the commander, and this is your order."

Lexa walked closer to her. "I'm sorry that's all I was."

Faye wouldn't verbally admit her disappointment to leaving, even after so many attempts to avoid Lexa's plan of succession.

"I would have gone to the doors of death if you asked me to." When she spoke, she could feel Lexa getting closer.

Among the many moments they'd had in Polis, none made Faye want to stay more than this one. And the ones that could've come after it.

When she felt Lexa's hands move along her arm, towards her cheek, Faye stepped away. "Clarke wants to speak with you." She pulled back, starting to leave.

"Clarke can wait." Lexa said, grabbing onto Faye's hand. "We've waited too long." She pulled closer until there was no room left between them.

Lexa leaned back, letting Faye choose to give in. Faye didn't want to leave, so she didn't, not yet.

- - -

Faye gently ran the tips of fingers against the tattooed skin of Lexa's arm.

She studied the tattoo of circles on Lexa's back. Seven circles for every Nightblood that died in the fight for role of the commander.

It seemed that at every turn, there was a reminder that she ran away.

Instead thinking about herself, she thought of Lexa. How truly happy Lexa was here, laying next to her. Not ready to leave her side, she does not leave, even when she thinks Lexa has fallen asleep.

"You can stay, if you want. I will put Nia in charge." Lexa said, feeling Faye pull away. She rolled over, watching her face. Her body wanted to leave, but her mind was glued to Lexa.

"No, I will be back. And when I am, everything will be like this. But we'll have more time." She said, pushing hair from Lexa's face.

"We will meet again." Lexa assured.

Faye, for once, stayed. She ignored the storm that surrounded them, and followed Lexa to the calm. The wanted to stay with her as long as possible, even if they didn't have time.

- - -

Faye left the tallest building, meeting Nia and Rich.

"Are you okay?" Nia asked, seeing Faye's red and glassy eyes. 

"Fine." She mounted her horse. "Let's go." The entire army followed her every movement and command. 

"Still getting used to the new authority?" Rich asked when they arrived at the designated distance of Arkadia. 

Faye scoffed. "It was this or stay locked up in the capitol." She was tired of waiting for something she didn't even want. Waiting for the day something devastating would happen and she would be forced to fight for the commander's title.

"Nia has missed you." Rich tells her.

"I know. And I want more time together, but it hasn't been easy.

"Faye!" A scout ran up to her and Rich. "Guards from Arkadia. Three escaped but we have the fourth one. He won't last very long." The scout told her, waiting for an order on what comes next. 

Faye remembered Lexa's order to kill any sky person at the blockade. Skaikru would learn sooner or later. "Kill him. Get me two riders. We need to send a message to Skaikru."

***

Sorry, I changed this chapter a lot. But I thought last night and decided to just turn this story around.