Chapter Seventy-Five

"Faye." Octavia waved Faye over with her good arm. Bellamy stood up with a tired look, showing Faye that the new leader was not in a good mood. "Don't ever-" Octavia started. 

"I'm not your dog to summon. I'm the Commander. You're right, I put you in charge. I can take it back." Faye said. 

"If you want to fight...you'll lose." Octavia warned her. 

"Because you trained for a few years." Faye leaned close so no one around could hear her threat. "I was raised to kill. And if it comes to it, I will take Wonkru by force."

The sound of a vehicle approaching came from across the sands. Everyone pointed their guns to the sky and searched for the ship. 

When they saw the rover, they all aimed at it.

"Hod op! Hod op!" Faye yelled as she ran for the rover. Madi jumped out of the front seat and ran towards her.

Still clinging to Madi, Faye opened her eyes and looked at the woman standing in front of her. 

Faye stood, waving Clarke over to Madi. As the two of them hugged, Faye stood and faced Echo. 

"Heda." Echo bowed her head. Faye held out her hand and let Echo take it, as a sign of trust. 

When their hands met, Faye pulled her into a tight hug. "Thank you." She whispered to the former spy of Azgeda.

- - -

"Leave us, Jackson." Indra told the doctor as he went to go check on other patients. Rich walked in and sat next to Faye by Indra's bed. 

"The time to act is now." Rich said. 

"What?" Faye asked. She looked to Indra for answers. 

"Octavia has been strong through the years, but the Commander has returned." Indra said. "Now that you are back, Wonkru's allegiance to Octavia is wavering."

"No...I-" Faye shook her head. 

"You are the rightful leader. Octavia can never carry the Flame. Even now she fights for our people to follow her." Rich said. He placed his hand on her shoulder, encouraging her. 

"After the retreat, their faith will be put in question." Faye realized. "I know what to do to kick off this rebellion." Faye stood and walked out of the medical wing. 

Faye ran out of the bunker and found Bellamy, Echo and Octavia all talking. 

"I just wanted to thank you for saving my people." Echo said to Octavia.

"They're not your people." Octavia said. "Azgeda is a memory. There is only Wonkru, and there is no place in it for you."

"I know you two have history, but Echo is on our side. She proved herself dozens of times on the ring." Bellamy said, standing up for his friend. 

"This isn't the ring. Wonkru, this murderer was banished from the bunker six years ago." Octavia pointed to Echo, drawing Wonkru's attention. "The judgment still stands." 

"O." Bellamy said.

"She has 24 hours." Octavia warned.

"No, she doesn't." Faye intervened. 

Everyone in the crowds whispered and questioned each other.

"The judgment does not still stand. Anyone who touches her will face my sword." Faye announced. She turned to Octavia, lowering her voice. "Anyone." She warned. 

"24 hours, or you both fight in the arena." Octavia said. 

"Your threats don't scare, Octavia." 

"24 hours." Octavia walked away, taking her guards with her. 

Bellamy ran after his sister. 

"Why would you do that?" Echo asked. "After everything I did to you." 

"We were kids. We were stupid." Faye shrugged. "You kept Madi safe and helped Bellamy in the ring." 

"Thank you." Echo said, a small smile growing on her face. 

A horn blew and they all looked to the sky to see Diyoza's ship coming towards the city. Everyone panicked and ran for the bunker. Cooper rushed to find Octavia. 

"Faye!" She heard Bellamy as he pushed through the crowds and finally found her. 

The three of them ran, hiding near a building for cover.

From the ship came small crates with parachutes. Once the crates hit the ground, they opened the reveal food. 

"People of Wonkru, this is Colonel Diyoza offering you a chance for peace. I know you all suffered, I know you're hungry, and so many of you are weary of Octavia's rule, but now you have a choice. Abandon your weapons, leave Wonkru behind, and join us in Shallow Valley."

They came out from hiding as Octavia approached the crates, listening to the insulting message.

"We have plenty of food and shelter for those seeking a better life."

"She's recruiting." Echo said.

"When our ship returns tonight, head for the wastelands. Anyone waiting for us outside the ruins will be rescued. But come unarmed. If Octavia attacks our ship, we will retaliate against your city with lethal force. We're watching everything, always."

Octavia took a hammer from one of her guards and smashed the speaker on the crate. But the message still played.

"There is a place in the valley for all of us, so please choose wisely."

***

Sorry this chapter is short and late. I've just not been in a good place but I love this book so I'm not giving it up.