Chapter Sixty-Nine

Clarke sat in the church with the man and woman as they all listened to the radio. 

Clarke figured out Faye's plan. She only took one person from each group, rotating counter-clockwise. 

The man walked towards Clarke. He offered her water and she drank it without a word. She pulled back when she had enough. 

"Come on." He knelt in front of her. "What harm can come from telling me your name?" He asked. "Well, believe it or not, this is the best conversation I've had in over a hundred years. I was an altar boy in a church just like this. Saginaw, about two hours outside of Detroit. On my Harley, I'd make it in one. God, I miss that bike..." He smiled to himself. "More than I miss most of the people." 

"Someone just ran out of that cave." A man said. "Harris, Falk, watch your six. It's not the same one." 

"Copy that. Tight intercept. Fast little thing." Another man said. "We can cut her off at the lake. Go west."

The woman walked over with the radio so Clarke could hear. 

"Changing direction now. Wait, scratch that. She's turning north. I got a shot." 

Clarke knew it was Madi who was leading them out. She didn't know what was happening and why Madi was out of hiding, but the man had a shot. Then Clarke realized it was the hunting ground.

If he had a shot at Madi, she might not reach Faye in time. 

"No." Clarke said. "She's just a child." 

"She speaks." The woman looked at her partner.

"Please." Clarke begged.

"How many others are in the woods?" 

"One. It's just the three of us. I am begging you. Tell him not to shoot." Clarke begged and pleaded. 

"Fire at will."

"Copy." Her men responded.

"She went behind those twin rocks!" Another man said.

"Please, if you shoot her, all your people will die." Clarke warned them. 

"Falk! Take her on the other side!"

"I know where they are." Clarke said. "That's our summer hunting grounds. She's leading them into a trap." 

"I see her. Going in. Cover me." Falk said. 

"Listen to me. If they don't stop right now, those men will die. If they shoot her, they'll all be killed." Clarke said, not threatening them, only warning them. 

"I see her. I'm going in."

"I believe her." The man said. 

"It's the truth. If you let her go, I'll tell you everything. And I'll tell my friend to stand down. She has one of your radios. Please." Clarke said. 

"All units...stand down. Over." The woman told her men. 

"If we stand down, she'll get away. I'm taking the shot."

"Falk, if McCreary disobeys, shoot him in the leg. Harris, if Falk disobeys, shoot him in the head." 

"Standing down." McCreary confirmed.

"Good choice. There may be traps near your position. Check it out and report back. Over." She put the radio to Clarke's face. "Tell your friend to stand down. 

"Heda, stand down. Kamp raun." Clarke told her, she made sure not to reveal her name and tell her to keep close.

"Son of a bitch. Another bear trap. Almost stepped right in it." McCreary said.