Chapter Forty

"Hey! Where are you going?" Bellamy asked the Grounder who was taking hold of a nearby horse.

Rich sighed. "Not that it's any of your business, but I am going to Polis. I'm no longer needed." 

Bellamy scoffed. He looked at Rich, waiting for him to face him. 

"If I find that any harm has come to Faye..." Rich warned, looking Bellamy up and down.

"You'll what?" Bellamy asked.

"Know that you will die...screaming. But not by my hand." Rich mounted the horse, but he didn't leave just yet. "All the chances you've had to kill her, you haven't." Rich's words gave room for the obvious question of why.

Bellamy almost answered, but the door creaked open and Clarke called for Bellamy. "Jasper might need some help in here." She said. 

"Yeah." Bellamy gave her a slight nod. He turned back to Rich. "She'll be safe.

"I don't doubt it. But the same can't be said for you." And with that he rode off. 

Inside Bellamy stayed up watching Raven while Jasper failed at watch.

"Look at your united front. Tell me, why do you give Bellamy a pass for murdering your girlfriend?" 

Jasper was finally awoken by Raven's words, and strung like a fish on a hook.

"What was her name?"

"Don't talk about Maya." Jasper warned, finally raising his head.

"You don't have to listen to this." Bellamy told him.

"Let's protect Jasper. Jasper's so sensitive. Jasper's lost someone. Everyone, cater to his feelings. We've all lost someone. You don't see us falling apart. You don't see us getting wasted. Being useless."

"You took a pill to take away your pain." Jasper said. "You gave up your memories." He said, almost reminded himself of the only reason to keep calm.

"But then, why should we expect anything more? You used to get high off people's medicine. Being a selfish loser was your only move." Raven said.

"Stop." Jasper shook his head.

"That's all we see when we look at you. A coward. A waste of breath. Why do you even bother living? You're weak. Pathetic. You can't save me. You can't even save yourself. You couldn't save what's-her-name."

Jasper burst out of his seat, throwing his hand up. "You know her name!" He yelled. 

Bellamy got up, stopping Jasper and holding him back. "Jasper, think. It's not Raven talking. And you're giving her what she wants. Go." Bellamy told him.

On his way out, Jasper cautiously walked past the bed, as if Raven might jump at him. 

Bellamy sat back down once Jasper had left. He refused to let her get in his head.

"Just you and me, huh? Oh, come on, Bellamy. We've had our fun together. Haven't we? It's okay." Raven said when he didn't respond. "We don't have to talk about it. Usually not much to talk about, anyway. But I do have one question. Does it bother you that you don't get any credit for the genocide at Mount Weather? Faye gets to be the Commander of War and a hero to her people, but she left you to die."

Bellamy didn't need a reminder, and didn't want one. He looked away from Raven.

 Clarke is the Commander of Death, and you murdered all these people, too, and you're just forgotten. Then again... You didn't get any credit for the culling on the Ark, either. How many people suffocated when you threw away my radio? You know, at least Faye was saving her own people. You were just saving your own ass. Of course, that's nothing... compared to killing your own mom."