Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Niylah said we can work in here. So how do we do this?" Clarke asked, placing the wrist band on the table.

"We think Raven wanted to use this wristband to generate an EMP. Which is freakishly brilliant." Sinclair said.

"Meaning what?" Bellamy asked.

"A targeted electromagnetic pulse could destroy the chip's circuitry. We could use this to send an EMP along Raven's own nervous system. Just need to reverse the polarity, wire for external input and attach a battery."

"But what would that do to her?" Clarke asked.

"Well, EMPs don't affect our bodies. But I don't know the mechanics of how this chip integrates with her brain." Sinclair said.

"This was Raven's plan." Bellamy said. "She wouldn't do it if it was gonna destroy her brain."

"Depends how bad she wanted it out." Octavia said, coming in.

"Regardless, without an electromagnet, this is just talk." Sinclair said.

"Where do we get one?" Clarke asked.

"The Ark." He shrugged. "every station had a pulsed inductive thruster for maneuvering."

"Arkadia's out of the question." Bellamy said. "It's too dangerous, you heard them."

"We use the dropship." Monty said. "It has PI thrusters just like the Ark."

"That's good." Sinclair agreed. "Okay. I'll go salvage the magnet."

"Uh...no" Monty stopped him. "You should stay with Raven and figure out how this thing works. I'll take the rover. Be back by the time you finish the device."

"I'll go with you." Octavia said. "Don't." She said to Bellamy when she saw him step forward.

"Guys! Guys!" Jasper called them.

"Stop her!" Clarke said. Her and Faye ran up to Raven.

"Jasper, get that side." Bellamy told him.

"She's reopened her wounds."

"Get away from me! Get away from me!" Raven yelled.

"She's gonna bleed to death. I need bandages." Clarke said.

"I got her." Bellamy told her.

"No, you take her wrists. Raven, stop fighting us."

"Alie. Alie. Alie! Look at me. I know you can hear this." Jasper said. Faye watched, trying to hold Raven's arm down as Bellamy did the same on the other side. "Why are you doing this to her? Let her go."

"I'll let her go when you give me what I want." She looked at Clarke. "The technology that Clarke carries, it belongs to me."

"Clarke?" Faye looked at her.

"No way."

"Clarke, just give it to her. Clarke!"

"No!" Faye shouted back. She would kill them all before she let them hand over the Flame.

"If you let Raven die, you'll never get it." Suddenly Raven stopped fighting. "Untie her wrist. Hold her steady." Clarke grabbed her arm, pushing as hard as she could until Raven's shoulder popped back into place.

"Clarke, she's never gonna stop trying to get away. We can't let her hurt herself again. Someone has to stay with her." Bellamy said.

"I'll be first watch. We'll take turns." Clarke said.

"You don't give the orders, Clarke." Jasper said.

"Guess he doesn't forgive you for murdering his girlfriend." Raven said.

"Jasper, take a break." Bellamy told him as he started to pace.

- - -

Faye took the next watch after Alie got a bite out of Clarke, literally.

"You're the grounder princess." Raven said. At least, it sounded like Raven. "What made you decide to leave the capitol and hang out with the enemy?"

Faye let her words go in one ear and out the other, blankly staring at the floor.

"I thought you were so threatening, and now you're just Clarke's bitch."

"Disappointment sucks. Doesn't it?" Faye said dryly.

They stayed quiet for so long, the moon was clear through the window. Faye could feel her eyes getting heavy, but she refused to sleep, so she paced.

"I'm sorry about Anya, your brother, and Lincoln." Raven said. This was Raven. Genuine sympathy was all that Faye could hear. But she was confused at the mention of Lincoln's name. "In the City of Light, all that pain goes away." Raven said.

"Lincoln? What happened to Lincoln?" Faye asked.

"You don't know. I'm so sorry. Pike killed him." Raven's voice suddenly got deeper. "You'd never have to feel this way in the City of Light." Raven told her, trying to convince her to let her go and join her side. "Let me go, and I can give you the key."

Faye's posture slipped and her eyes stung from the forming tears.

"Faye." Rich said, sticking his head into the back room. "Jasper's got the next watch." He watched Raven stare at Faye until she was out of sight. Rich gave her one last look before he left, watching her scoff.

Faye hurried out of the back room, trying to hide the way she wiped her tears.

"Are you okay?" Rich asked her.

"Fine." She tried to walk away, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

"I don't believe you."

She placed her hand on his, lightly pushing it away. "You should go back to Nia. Tell her I'm fine and to lift the blockade." Rich opened his mouth to speak, but Faye stopped him. "Please, go."

She wanted to keep them safe. Away from any tortures Alie could bring. And she wouldn't risk separating them forever if anything bad were to happen.

"Okay." Rich nodded. "Be careful." Faye couldn't help giving in to a small hug goodbye.

As soon as he saw this, Bellamy stopped listening to Clarke. His eyes followed Rich until he was gone behind the door, leaving the trading shop.

When Faye finally turned away from the window, Bellamy looked back at Clarke, nodding to her every word.

"Hey, you okay?" Clarke asked.

"Yeah." Bellamy said. "I'll be right back." And with that, he followed Rich out of the shop.