Nine

24 June 2020Emersyn Ripley

24 June 2020
Emersyn Ripley

Last night was crazy, Romeo, my heart is still racing from all the times we almost got caught even though Koen realised you were hiding under the water away from the world.

I guess water doesn't work as well as blankets, huh?

Our safety is blankets, I wish we could stay under them forever.

Seeing you tonight is what I'm looking forward to, what has been on my mind all day. You've taken over my brain completely, Romeo, I can't stop thinking of you. Are you thinking of me? Do I take over your mind like you do to mine?

I think 24 hours is too long for us to be apart, I wish we could stay together forever, I don't think we'd get bored. There's so much I have to tell you, I have stories to last years and I think you'd enjoy hearing them.

"Emersyn!" I hear my mother's voice shouting for me from outside my bedroom, my eyes widening as I hide my journal in the top drawer of my vanity as my mother pushes into my room. "There you are."

I smile as she gently cups my face with one of her hands, "I just needed a breather." I admit, downstairs is pretty hectic, I needed a few minutes away especially considering Harry isn't here tonight.

This is a personal, a close family and friends event where everyone catches up and converses while drinking whatever strong alcohol there is on hand.

My mother simply hums, "Joe's looking for you, he wants to begin discussing arrangements for the wedding." My eyes fall shut, feeling a horrible wash of upset come over me at her words.

"I don't want to marry him." I whisper out, keeping my eyes shut and I feel the warmth of her palm leave my cheek. Worry creeps through my body that she's about to explode and react dramatically to what I just said, she's the verbal one out of my parents but I also hold a lot of love for her despite our differences.

When she doesn't say anything for a few seconds I peel my eyes open to see her standing in front of me still with a confused expression. I swallow down the lump in my throat as she crouches down and rests her clasped hands on her thighs that are covered by the soft material of her cream dress.

"Why not, sweetheart? He's the perfect man, he'll care and provide for you. You'll never have to worry about anything, I was the same age as you when I married your father." Her voice is incredibly soft, comforting me.

I shake my head gently, "I'm just not ready for marriage, I don't think I can handle what comes with it."

It's crazy that I'd marry you in a heartbeat, Romeo, you make me feel safe and I'm trusting you with me. The scariest part of marriage is intimacy, vulnerability but I'd never admit my deepest fears to anyone. Well, anyone besides maybe you.