Fifty Six

❀6 months later❀

6 months later

8 September 2021
Emersyn Styles

"Oakley Jane if you eat another handful of sand." I crouch down in front of my daughter, her tiny hand clutching the golden grains and having to pry her tight fist apart.

She lets out a high pitched giggle at my efforts, her head tipping back in happiness as her booming laughter fills the beach. The soft glow of the setting sun casts beautiful colours across the empty beach, "you're such a cheeky girl, Oaks."

Her little feet kick around in the sand, causing it to fly around and get between her tiny toes. It only makes her laughter get more high pitched and little squeals leave her lips, my smile deepening at the sound.

A summer in Verona is definitely a dream. The warmth, the flowers, the sun and the love in this city is unmatched. The roots of Romeo and Juliet, squiggling words in my journal I feel more connected to the beginnings of the story mine's based on. Maybe they should've been written running away, escaping the fates destined for them but then that doesn't make an interesting story.

Readers love heartbreak.

They love their emotions toyed with, hanging off every word of an author and hoping that the fears for the book they have don't come true. Plot twists really wreck your trust when reading, imagine finding a beautiful love tale only to have the ending wrench your heart out.

I glance at my daughter, watching her happily smack her hands against the sand and I'm just waiting for her to grasp another handful and shove it in her mouth. Since she's been getting older I've noticed that sand is like her favourite food, until she gets in her eyes and then it's tears and cuddles from Daddy until she feels better.

Talking of her Daddy, I notice Harry beginning to walk down the beach towards us so I scoop up Oakley, turning her around to face him with her toes in the sand. The loudest squeal leaves her as soon as she can make out his features, bending her knees to bounce excitedly.

Harry speeds up in the sand, crouching down with his arms out ready to catch his baby girl, the widest grin spread over his lips. "My little Oakie girl! I'm gonna..." He lifts her from my hand, raising her up, "...get you!"

I watch the two of them with happy eyes, the way he leans in to press hundreds of ticklish kisses against her chubby cheek so she squeals with laughter and grabs his face. Her giggles are the best sound that have ever graced my ears, I remember the first time she laughed - Harry and I were pulling funny faces at her but it wasn't until I shoved him that she let out a high pitched little giggle.

She first smiled at me when I was just admiring her, I do that often. I can't fathom that she was once growing in my tummy, that there was a time her happiness didn't exist in the world. Having a baby has been the best experience ever, getting to watch her grow and discover things for the first time - I try to catch every moment on video to have the memory but also for the people who've missed it.