Chapter 34

I sat silently, watching the drama unfolding in front of me.

Duke Alfaret sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Damarius, don't interrupt me when I'm talking."

Oleracea provoked Damarius with a mocking look. "You children don't know manners. Oh, right! No wonder! You were never educated by your mother, weren't you?."

Oh my... I initially believed that she still had a little bit of sanity, but apparently she doesn't. She was really courting death by angering Damarius.

I looked at Damarius who was clenching his fists, holding back his anger. The expression he showed was terrifying.

"That's enough. Darius, sit back down. Don't get carried away by the immoral remarks of a mad woman." Vasilius put down his spoon and paid full attention to the situation.

Pft- he did not just mock her by saying she's mad.

Oleracea gave Vasilius a sharp look which he ignored. While Damarius paused for a moment then sat back in his chair.

"As I said earlier, I will acknowledge Edelyn as my daughter and let her live here." Oleracea who heard this smiled victoriously, but disappeared soon after Duke Alfaret continued. 

"However, I do not recognize you as the duchess of this house. You are forbidden to set foot in this mansion." He said to Oleracea.

I smiled in satisfaction, looking at Oleracea who widened her eyes.

"DARLING! THAT'S NOT FAIR!" She stamped her foot in displeasure.

"In exchange I will give you the money you spent raising Edelyn and a house outside the dukedom."

"NO! DARLING! I DON'T WANT THAT! YOU CAN'T DO THIS AFTER WHAT HAPPENED!"

Duke Alfaret looked at Oleracea in disgust. "Watch your words. You speak as if I was the one who tempted you to fall in love with me at that time. I never had the initiative to cheat on my wife. If it weren't for Edelyn, which is my responsibility, I would never treat you well as of now after what you did."

Did I just smell a tea? Yes, I did.

Duke Alfaret coded a servant with his eyes. The servant handed him a small chest which he held in his hand. After that, he gave it to Oleracea. "Take this for now, I'll give you the rest later. Now, get out of this mansion."

The green woman stared in disbelief at Duke Alfaret. She gritted her teeth and took the small chest roughly, then walked out stomping her feet. She stared at Edelyn for a moment with a look I couldn't decipher. Finally the door was closed with a loud bang by the woman.

Wait a minute.. I smell something fishy. Is she taking that for granted? Without throwing tantrum nor making a scene? Of course not. Surely she will do something. Well, for now I'll just enjoy the quiet.

I shrugged my shoulders and took the new spoon that the maid had provided. I spooned a mouthful of food that I haven't touched- I haven't eaten, to be exact.

...have I ever mention if food in this world is really delicious? Because it really is delicious! I meant it! I think I understand why the crown prince likes to eat. Ah... now I wonder, how can the crown prince have an ideal body? Even though the portion of food is more than normal people in general, he didn't gain a weight! Like, seriously?

My attention was now diverted by the voice of Duke Alfaret calling my name, Vasilius and Damarius. He then ordered Edelyn to come closer.

I looked at Edelyn who was walking towards him hesitantly. Now he stood beside the seated Duke Alfaret, facing us.

Duke Alfaret looked at us all with a serious look. "From now on Edelyn, or who is now Edeliana Alfaret will become a member of our family. I hope the four of you can get along. I don't want to hear that there is conflict between you."

"I don't agree." Damarius stared at Duke Alfaret intensely who was rewarded with even more.

Ok, they both really look alike. It is questionable because they are not blood related.

"What do you think, Lania?" The question from Vasilius made me look at him with raised eyebrows. Vasilius looked at me with a teacup in his hand.

I scratched my cheek that didn't itch. "I'm fine with that. After all, she is also sharing the same blood as us, and she has the right to live here with a father who is his biological parent."

Well, I also believe that Lavenia's position will be secure. Edelyn couldn't possibly stand against me as long as I was careful of my behavior. I'm technically at an advantage here because no matter what, those who know about me won't to do anything to me. In addition, Edelyn's reputation had fallen drastically because of the commotion her mother had caused.

I snapped up from my thoughts because Vasilius's gaze that made me break into cold sweat.

...what? Why are you looking at me like that?

After a moment of silence, Vasilius turned his gaze towards Duke Alfaret. "Lania's opinion is mine. She can stay here, but on two condition. Don't cause trouble for us and expect much from us." Edelyn replied with a low nod.

Damarius, who had been silent, stood up and walked out of the dining room with an annoyed expression.

What's wrong with Damarius? It can't be that he hates stranger, right? The proof was that I, who was a stranger, was not hated by him and instead was treated kindly

"I'll talk to Darius later. You don't need to worry, Lania." Vasilius smiled softly.

Uhm.. looks like you misunderstood here.. worried? That's not my problem though..?

"Vasilius, when you have finished dinner, prepare the necessary requirements for attending the meeting at the kingdom tomorrow. And report about the situation in the north to His Majesty the king. I am temporarily unable to attend any meeting nor do any works. I must prepare our people as reinforcements for a war that is likely to break up in the north in the near future." Duke Alfaret continued to eat his dinner.

"Alright." Vasilius put down his teacup. "Then I will go now." He walked out, just as Helios entered.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Lavenia, you should rest in your room, don't be too active. I don't want to hear that you passed out again." Duke Alfaret looked at me gently and worriedly, making me nodded and sweat drop in my seat.

"And Helios, starting today Edelyn will be a part of the Alfaret family. For now escort her to the guest room, then prepare her own room as soon as possible. Call our tailor to make her a dress, and prepare everything she needs. Don't miss anything." He said to Helios.

"I understand, as per your order." Helios bowed with one hand on his chest and the other behind him. He glanced at me for a moment then approached Edelyn. "My name is Helios Minerva, butler of this mansion. Please follow me to your temporary room."

Edelyn was silent, her cheeks flushed red. She dropped the tray she was holding and looked flustered.

Wait a minute... Wait wait wait... Don't tell me he likes Helios.. I know Helios is handsome and all. But what the heck?