Chapter 42

Abandon... that word is now ringing in my head. My focus was lost, even when Vasilius gave Damarius the potion until he left again.

Damarius's hot and trembling hand still held mine weakly, making me unable to bear it and turning into me holding his hand.

But after a while I pulled my hand because his hand was too hot. I couldn't stand it.

I went out to tell the maid to get 2 basins filled with hot and cold water, 1 empty basin and a cloth.

I put the empty basin on the nightstand then poured half the basin of hot water and half of cold water, making warm water. So when the warm water gets cold, I can use the hot water that later gets warm, so I don't have to call the maid to bring warm water twice.

After I made sure that the water wasn't too hot or cold, I soaked a small white cloth and placed it against Damarius' forehead.

Damarius who at first looked uncomfortable now looked relaxed. Soon his breathing was now more steady.

Well, seeing Damarius like this reminded me of when my brother was sick. He is very vulnerable to rainwater. Every time he was caught in the rain, or even just drizzled, the next day he would catch a fever. And every time I would take care of him. He also often helps me when I have a problem or when I'm sick.

Sigh... remembering this makes me feel sad... I want to go home and exchange jokes with my bro-

I flinched and slapped my cheeks.

Snap it out! Remember Melina! Don't forget your brother's words!

"Don't leave..." Damarius' voice was hoarse and low. His eyes were still tightly closed, and his brows were furrowed indicating he had a bad dream.

I hold his hand, whose temperature I can bear now because of the effect of putting my hand in warm water.

"Don't worry, I'm here. I'm not leaving." I said, hoping my words would calm him down, just like how mom takes care of me when I have nightmares.

And it seems to work. Now he is more relaxed.

I turned the wet cloth that was almost dry and guarded Damarius. I did it over and over again until I fell asleep without realizing it

***

I woke up, feeling some of my hair pulled.

With blurry vision I stared at the culprit.

"Well? It turns out you're still alive." A familiar voice with a joking tone I can hear half awake.

After a while my eyes had adjusted to the light and I could see a man with white bear mask.

Ah... turns out to be Alvanio...

...

Wait a minute... Alvanio?!

I woke up completely and looked around. I looked at Damarius who was sleeping in his bed.

Wait... this is Damarius's room, isn't it? Why is this man here?

Subconsciously I looked at Alvanio with a question mark.

As if he could read my mind, he then opened his voice. "I have business with your brother who is sleeping here." He pointed at Damarius then sat on the side of the bed. More precisely in front of me.

He leaned toward me, causing me to reflexively lean back. His white irises clashed with my crystal blue irises.

Seriously, I can't stop being amazed by his eyes...