Chapter Seven

"Moving!" Grimes called as she quickly stood up and rushed to a wall on the other side of the road. Bullets rained down on her while Ghost and Soap provided her cover fire.

"Reloading!" Ghost called out as Grimes looked up over the wall that if she stood up would only reach hip height. Pulling the trigger, she released several aimed rounds. Killing two of the enemies. Every time they pushed forward and rounded the corner, it was like the cartel was popping out of thin air.

"Clear this house, then we make for Hassan," Alejandro said, taking point as they were down a dead ally.

"Cartel will move Hassan fast." Ghost spoke in a calm voice to avoid detection as much as possible.

"Then we move faster," Grimes said as she slung her weapon behind her. "I'll see you guys on the other side."

"Rodger," Alejandro nodded to her, but Ghost grabbed her arm to stop her.

"where the hell are you going?" He quizzed her. He did not want her out of his sight.

"If we don't get to Hassan within the next couple of minutes, he'll be gone," Grimes told him. "I move faster and swifter on my own."

"I'm coming with you." Ghost told her as she reached up and pulled his hand off her arm.

"You couldn't keep up." She told him coldly as she turned and jogged over to the wall. She effortlessly pulled herself up and then made her way onto the roof. She looked back at the group and gave them a nod.

"Don't worry. I have seen her skills before. She will be fine." Alejandro muttered before they continued to breach and clear. Grimes made her way over several roofs before hitting one balcony. The two narcos were occupied, focusing their fire on the team on the ground.

"We are pinned down!" Grimes heard Soap's voice call over the radio just as she walked up behind them. She rushed up and kicked behind one of the men's knees, causing them to buckle. She grabbed his hair and tilted his head back, running a knife along his neck quickly and cleanly.

His friends turned around just as Grimes let go of the body and moved to aim his rifle at her. But Grimes pushed his gun away, dropping down slightly; she drove her knife into both his thighs in quick concession before grabbing hold of his head and forcing her knife into his neck. She pushed him backward, causing him to fall off the balcony as she looked down at the ground team.

"All clear," she muttered over the radio.

"Fuck me," Soap spoke in awe.

"I told you she could handle herself." Alejandro chuckled as they moved forward. Grimes jumped off the balcony onto a roof, throwing knives as she continued toward the main house. She turned her head to check on the ground team as she ran to the roof's edge. But because she was too busy looking at them, she didn't notice the man behind her.

"Grimes! Look out!" Ghost yelled out, but before she could turn to look, the man released a rain of bullets flying toward hers.

"Shit!" She called as she jumped off the roof and landed on her back on the dirt ground below. Her ears were ringing as she now had cover from the gunner.

She rolled over to her front just as she placed her knee on the ground. Someone wrapped their arm around her neck and squeezed tight. While her right hand tried to keep his arm from squeezing too tight and breaking her neck, she reached down to her boot with her left. She grabbed a knife she had stored away and took a firm grip before pushing it into the man's thigh behind her. The man let out a painful wail, and his squeeze loosened enough for Grimes to pull his arm off. She spun around and stood up before grabbing his hair and pushing her knife into his neck.

"Grimes, how copy." Ghost called down the comms. Grimes took a moment to regain her breath before roll g her shoulder.

"Peachy," she said before swinging her rifle back around her front and putting the butt into her shoulder. The house was two streets away, and she could practically see it. The fall just there cost her time. Had she not focused on the ground team, she would never have been caught like that. That is why she always works alone. More people, more problems.

"Approaching the house now," Grimes muttered. It was deadly silent as she walked over the last main road.

"On your six." Ghost spoke over the comms as she heard movement behind her. Grimes pushed her back against the wall of the door into the building.

Ghost and Alejandro joined on the other side of the door; Soap tapped Grimes's shoulder. Grimes reached for the handle, and with a signal, Soap threw a flash bang in from behind her. Once that went off, they rushed into the building and fired off several rounds each. Killing all enemies inside.

"Any sign of Hassan?" Ghost called out as they searched different rooms.

"Negative." was all that was muttered down the comms. They were too late.

"We are too late; Hassan is gone," Grimes growled, pissed off down the comms. Had she not been distracted, she would have gotten here.

"Get ready to move," Alejandro said as Grimes entered the room where he and Soap were. Soap reached for the lock on the door; just as he went to pull the door, Alejandro placed his hand over it to stop him from opening it. Alejandro then asked for a smoke cover before the move to the last house. Once the smoke was out, the three moved through the smoke and to the side door.

"We move quick and fast," Grimes told them with a nod as he opened the door. Grimes was the first one in and took down several of the enemies inside before Soap cleared the smaller rooms. Grimes met Alejandro at the bottom of the stairs, ready to head up.