57 (*)

Harry.

"She did what?!" My voice boomed through the apartment as Genevieve sat on the couch with her hands hiding her face. Diane sat down at the kitchen table as I paced back and forth, shooting her a desperate look, "Diane, you have to do something about this!"

Even Ezra was here, offering to take Gen home after what happened. I decided to be here for her tonight, surprise her by cooking dinner, but she came home distressed with her eyes rimmed red. Even Ezra seemed to show me sympathy, and he hated my guts.

Genevieve had called Diane and she showed up too before Genevieve started talking.

I couldn't believe Blair sought her out in Lotus. She was fucking delusional.

"Okay, Genevieve, talk to me. What happened. What did she say?" Diane remained calmer than me as I ran a hand through my hair, sighing in aggravation as Genevieve took a breath, "Uh – she said I had to break up with Harry. That I had... nothing to offer him." She swallowed while looking down, "That she had tricks up her sleeve and that she was going to destroy all of us."

"What else?"

Genevieve rubbed her forehead, "I-I don't know. Let me think."

"Genevieve, this is important." Diane pressed. Genevieve closed her eyes, her fingers shaking a little, "I know, I'm sorry. Just... let me think for a second." Her voice sounded wobbly.

"You didn't think to record any of it?!"

"Hey!" I snapped at Diane, "Let her breathe, yeah? Fucking hell!" I walked over to Genevieve and crouched down in front of her, stroking my palms up her jean-covered thighs, "Sunny," I cooed, "hey, baby."

"Sorry." She sniffed, "I-I'm trying."

"I know, I know." I whispered, "It's okay." I grabbed her hands and she lifted her head, showing me her teary eyes. My heart broke and I gently laced our fingers together. Her cuticles were raw and a few had bloody spots around them from fiddling with her fingers that much. An anxious trait that not even the fidget ring could fix for her.

I could feel Ezra's curious gaze on our interaction as Diane sighed and muttered under her breath. I was raging with anger at the way she spoke to Genevieve, my angel having to go through so much already today.

Blair went in and intimidated her, tried to manipulate her. Genevieve swallowed thickly, "I just... fuck, I hate her, H. I hate her so much. She makes me feel so... weak."

I pressed my lips together as I nodded knowingly, "I know. That's her power."

"I'm scared." Genevieve whispered, barely audible. Her confession made my heart sink. We had been doing so well lately, getting our lives back on track, finding hope in a positive outcome for this divorce that could put us on the right track to finally finding happiness. The entire process had been draining but Genevieve and I leaned on one another and it worked. I kissed her knuckles, "What're you scared for?"

"The shit she's about to pull. Harry... I don't know what to expect, I'm..." She swallowed again, shaking her head lightly, "It sounded really malicious."

"She's not going to break us, sunny." I murmured, releasing her hands to cup her cheeks and tilt her head up a little, "You hear me?"

Genevieve sniffed and nodded, "Yes."

"Good girl." I cooed, shortly bringing her head in to press a kiss to her lips. "I love you." I whispered against her lips, and I could feel them tugging up into a smile, "I love you too."

I rested my forehead against hers and sighed with closed eyes, "Diane, please tell me we can get a restraining order."

"By the time it goes through we'll be in court for the divorce, it's not any use."