Childhood Cabin (Chapter 31)

Sagiso POV

"Ahaha! Because I was totally the one who embraced you and made you under me when we fell." I rolled my eyes as I grinned at the Princess who had been as red as the patch of roses at the left of her.

"Shut the fuck up! I wanted to protect you!"

"I don't need to be protected."

This girl knows I'm stronger than she ever imagines, yet, why does she try to save me?

It happened last time too.

But, this time, there was no immediate threat to either of us. To fall from this height wouldn't give a single chap in our skin, so she must have done that out of pure instinct.

Again, WHY?

"Why do you care about me so much, hmm? You keep telling me it's because I'm the hero, but I don't think so~" I chuckled at her, shook off the thoughts in my head and finally stepped off her. The overgrown grass tickled at the side of my legs, gaze on the wooden structure that was supposedly made by little Kaneko.

It would be nice if she would stop this burn in my heart.

I don't want it.

"M-maybe it IS something more! Why do you care too?!" Kaneko hopped on her feet and grumbled. She walked past me straight towards the cottage, the slight whiff of her presence near me had gotten me frozen.

"Just curious!" I replied as my jaw barely moved. I gulped, ran my fingers through my slick backed hair and bit my bottom lip.

I didn't think she'd bite back like that.

"So, before you overheat from my body on you, I will ask again, how strong were you as a child?"

"You didn't have to bring that up!" She spat and turned her head towards me, a chunk of her hair slapped me in the process. "But, I dunno how strong I exactly was, but probably close to a well built adult."

"What age did you finish this...?"

"10, I think. I started at like 9, but it's whatever! We shouldn't be outside here, she might hear us." Kaneko gave me a glare before she paced back towards the cabin and placed her hand on the handle. It didn't have to be twisted, it simply opened on its own with a slight push and a creak. The vines that had lowered on the cracks above the door had snapped and fell down now that Kaneko had moved it.

"You were so lonely, huh?"

"Shut the fuck up." Kaneko paused, lowered her head and paused in the doorway. I held my breath as my words got shoved back into my mouth, the bite on my lip deepened.

Fuck.

"Sorry. That wasn't sarcasm, Kaneko." I reached out to pat her back, but as the face of Kimiaki flashed in my mind, I pulled it back before she noticed. "At least now, you have us right?"

"What a cliche line." Kaneko rolled her eyes, the darkness in her face seemed to have faded away despite the dismissive hair flip that she did. She stepped inside and had stepped on a flower that had grown from the floorboards.

"I mean it's true. I know how you were before the hero's journey." I blinked down at the plant. This place really had been left for a while huh... There doesn't seem much dust, but grass and flowers seem to be at every corner of the cabin.

"Don't remind me." Kaneko sat down in a rocking chair with a metallic frame, the shiny condition along with the brown surroundings had been completely out of place. It was well built as well, did she just steal that from the palace?

"Isn't it a good thing that you can look back at your old self and feel pity?" I tilted my head, stepped in front of her.

"..." Kaneko paused and glanced up at me as she narrowed her eyes.