Anything For Her (Chapter 39)

Sagiso POV

"What you cooked for me was delish! My mom said I should never cook alone since I'm still young, but you can, why is that?" Marisa had always been curious, that small shimmer on her eyes glowed despite the shadows that covered the whole room.

"My mom and dad are sometimes not home because of work, so I kinda just have to cook by myself. It's my first time cooking for someone, so I'm glad that you think it's great!" I grinned, patted her head as she dug deeper into my palms.

"It's already past our bedtime, we should go to sleep."

"Aww, can't we talk longer?"

"I'd like that, but we can do it in the morning! Mom said that we should go to sleep early since its good for our brains to grow!" Marisa warned me, tugged our blanket to fall onto our shoulders.

"Alright... Good night, Marisa~"

"Good night, Sagiso."

.

.

.

A sharp boom pierced through my ears.

I can't breathe.

I CAN'T BREATHE I CAN'T-

My body shot up, the world had been hazed and blurred. My eyes hissed from the appearance of everything around me, and my lungs choked.

My heartrate spiked up as the temperature did as well. I shot up with a deep inhale, but the claws of smoke tore my throat to shreds.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?! IS THIS A NIGHTMARE?!

Cough cough cough-

"S-sagiso..."

That whimper and the weak tug on my sleeves was real.

MOVE.

MOVE YOU IDIOT!!

My limbs were stiff as metal, yet I forced them to at least turn to Marisa.

"S-sagiso... I can't see..." A figure amidst the white called out to me, those widened golden gaze that dripped down desperation could shoot through any veil.

This...

It wasn't a dream.

"Ma-Marisa..." I couldn't do anything but whimper back, but she gripped further on my arm.

"Sagiso!" She screamed, yet her hands shook above the cloth. I held my breath as my eyes burned from the thick blurred blades of mist.

"Snap out of it! Move! Just look for my glasses and-"

"That would be too late!" I grabbed her hand, then shook her head.

"It's already hot up here, who knows where the fire is and how fast its spreading!" I yelled back, the rusty joints that shook from light gravity I shot up to move.

"If the smoke is up here without any fire flares- cough cough... Or light... Then the fire is still downstairs!" Marisa concluded, despite the snot and liquid down her face, along with hard coughs, she still remained logical.

"Then let's jump through the window! It's better to run through fire!"

"This is the second floor! Our legs they'll- cough cough-"

"I don't care!" I pulled her out of bed, her body leaned on top of mine. Both of our bodies shook, but these stiff limbs of mine should at least be used as a pillar.

I want to run.

I want to be able to just remove both of us from this situation.

What did we ever do to deserve this?