chapter nine

"Hey Kaia-"

Kaia dropped her book in surprise, closing her eyes as she clenched her teeth, going into slight shock from the scare she just got. "Geez Namjoon." She smiled weakly, turning around to face him before picking up her book. But he was one step ahead of her, holding her book for her. "Hi, thank you, you scared me."

Namjoon only chuckled. "Lemony Snicket, huh?" Namjoon commented as Kaia used a bobby pin for her bookmark, closing it.

"His real name is actually Daniel Handler." Kaia smiled, tapping the book against her forehead. "Not many people know that. But, yes," Kaia held up the book. "Lemony Snicket." Kaia nodded for Namjoon to walk with her, Namjoon walking beside her. "Did you read this series?"

"I haven't." Namjoon shook his head, his hands behind his back as he joined Kaia on the slow walk to her office. "Though I have heard great things about it."

"'The Series of Unfortunate Events' is quite the series, let me tell you." Kaia chuckled softly. "It's mind bending, really." Kaia sighed softly, looking down at her book. "I hardly have time to read anymore, but I figured I could start reading as I walk from place to place."

"Where were you coming from?" Namjoon asked as they reached her office door, Kaia freezing. "What? What's wrong?"

"I forgot my coffee." Kaia hung her head and let out a groan, letting her forehead hit her door. "Damnit now I have no coffee and I'm short 5 dollars." Kaia hit her forehead with her book, taking a deep breath. "Whatever." She opened the door, Namjoon shaking his head.

"I'll tell you what." Namjoon walked in behind her, giving her a gentle push towards her couch. "You sit here and read and I'll get you another coffee."

Kaia gasped softly, eyes wide. "Really?"

"Yes." Namjoon smiled. "It'll cost you a summary of the book you're reading."

"Okay!" Kaia nodded excitedly, a bright smile on her face. "I can do that!"

"Alright, what do you want from the cafe?" Namjoon asked with a fond smile, seeing Kaia all giddy, making him happy.

"A peppermint latte please." Kaia hugged her book to her chest, still smiling. "With oat milk please! Make sure it isn't almond, please."

"I'll make sure." Namjoon reassured. "I'll also make sure they clean everything from nuts for you."

"Oh you don't have to-"

"I'm not going to see you have an allergic reaction." Namjoon stopped her, giving her a parental-like smile. "I'll make sure everything is safe for you."

Kaia leaned back on the couch, Jeju laying on the floor beside her. "Well, thank you then, Namjoon."

"Of course." Namjoon gave one last smile before closing the door and making his way to the cafe downstairs.

Kaia smiled happily, laying on her back and opened up her book. 'I love having friends.'

--

"I wanted to ask you something Kaia." Namjoon spoke after she finished her summary of her book. "And you can say no if you want."

Kaia swallowed the sip of coffee she was having. "What is it?"

"Would you like to join me on my walk today?" Namjoon looked down at his coffee, reminding himself to not push this idea too harshly. "I like going to clear my head." Namjoon shrugged, looking back up at her. "Figured you and Jeju might enjoy it too?"

"Oh yeah, yeah." Kaia sat up, her legs crossed beneath her on the couch. "Yeah, I would love that." Kaia looked down at Jeju, smiling. "And I think Jeju would really enjoy not being inside and to stretch his legs."