7 - Invisible String

"Is everything okay?" Rose's grandmother asked as she sat next to her granddaughter. It has been a few minutes since she came home, yet she didn't do anything other than ask her grandmother to help change and get in bed.

"Yes." She answered although it wasn't a very convincing answer because her grandmother heard everything Rose's soulmate had to say.

"Okay. I'll let you sleep, you must be tired."

"Yes," Rose nodded slightly and smiled. "Thank you. Good night."

"Sweet dreams." Her grandmother muttered before closing the door, and that's when the tears started falling down Rose's cheek. She's been holding them back but that was the best she could do. It was too much for her to take.

Never in her life had she thought that her soulmate wouldn't want to be with her. It was stupid of her to think that he'll accept her when she was like that... yet she was hoping for him to be different.

The night felt so long as Rose cried and thought of her parents. They were so in love with each other that she blindly believed all soulmates were like that. Well, most of them were, except for a few. Just like her and Heeseung.

She looked at the picture sitting on her nightstand and smiled bitterly through her tears. It was a picture of when her parents were dancing. Her mother's head on his chest, both their eyes closed. They seemed so perfectly content.

The image of them gently swaying to the music was how she pictured love in her mind even after all these years.

Staring at her parents, she was reminded of the promise she made the moment she looked at her parents and realized what love is.

You'll find someone like that, someone who you can hold and close your eyes to the world with. Even if it only lasts for a minute or a day.

"I'm sorry..."

Little Rose thought she could easily find him, but now that she was older, she realized that it was not easy to make him stay. It was all depressing, nothing made sense anymore and she started hating herself. After all, why would anyone stay for her?

She couldn't walk or do anything properly, and all she was good at was painting. It was ridiculous. Even though she acted like she didn't care about walking anymore, she did. She would give away everything just to feel her legs once again. Just once.

She wanted to cry and scream to the world that it was unfair, but she knew she had no right. Life was unfair to a lot of people and they had to carry the burden of that unfairness. She wasn't special, it was only the fate she'd been given.

 However, people always fail to see that the world wasn't totally unfair. It takes and gives, in ways we don't usually notice.

Rose stared at the letter her grandmother gave her a few minutes ago. It was morning and she was still sitting in her bed with her window open to let in some fresh air.

"I found it in the mailbox when I went to look for my letters. It's for you." Her grandmother said as she handed it to Rose, and until then, she was just staring at her because it wasn't something she was expecting at all.

Double Vision? Why on earth would they send her a letter?

It was a famous organization that was interested in people's art. They had exhibitions and a lot of museums in many cities. She couldn't believe that they contacted her. The letter only meant one thing.

Opening it, she read the words over and over as her heart raced inside her chest. 

"Grandma!" Rose called, the smile on her face so bright it could lighten a whole room. She was genuinely happy, forgetting about everything that happened the night before.

"Yes, dear?" Her grandmother walked into the room only to see Rose crying. Her eyes filled with worry. "What's wrong?"

"They want me to exhibit my paintings at their art gallery." She smiled, wiping her tears. "Can you believe that?"

"Oh, my dear little Rose." She muttered, gently pulling her for a tight hug. "I always believed that you'll do great. See? You're amazing."

Rose hugged her tighter as she rested her head on her shoulder and silently cried. She wanted to share it with her mother, her father, and maybe... her soulmate as well. But they were all gone, so the only person that she could share it with was Harin.

"What the fuck?" Harin exclaimed as she put a hand over her mouth. "Rose, this is huge. You're- I can't believe it! You're literally amazing!"

"Thank you." Rose smiled, feeling a little embarrassed. "It was unexpected."

"I'd say it was expected, you underestimate your talent, Rose." Harin sipped on her coffee as she stared out at the café. 

Rose just smiled and took a sip of her coffee. "How's married life?"

Harin's eyes widened and her cheeks reddened. "It's... you know." When Rose chuckled, she slightly glared at her. "Stop teasing me! He's nice, you know, so I just feel happy with him. But let's not talk about me now, how is it going with your soulmate?"

"It's..." He's gone. "It's alright, I guess."

"When are you going to introduce him to us?" Harin's eyes widened. "Wait, who could it be? He must be from here, I know everyone."

"I-"

"Is it someone I know!?" She screamed, making everyone look at her. Rose just gulped, sipping on her coffee again. 

"I'll introduce you to him. I... I promise." 

"You better do! I'm so excited to meet him, you know? I feel like I've been waiting for him as well." She laughed and Rose smiled bitterly at her. How would she even tell her? "Oh wait, when's the exhibition?"

"Next Thursday. I'm so excited but I'm so nervous." She sighed. "I don't know if I can do-"

"Rose," Harin called, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You'll do it just well. They didn't pick you just like that, they clearly know how much talent you have. They believe in you. We all do actually."

"Thank you." Rose's eyes softened.

She was thankful she had a friend like Harin, someone to cheer her up and support everything she does. Someone to love her and be there for her. "Have you thought about what you'll wear?" Harin's question made her widen her eyes before chuckling.

"No, not yet. I think I'll just wear one of my dresses-"

"Are you kidding me?" She gasped. "There's no way you're wearing something old! This event needs something brand new."

"I guess I should go shopping then. Can you come with me-"

"I think I have a better idea," Harin said and Rose tilted her head, thinking about what the idea might be. Then it hit her, and her eyes widened.

"No. No, I don't think it's a good-"

The two of the stopped in front of a store as Rose's heart raced inside her chest. It definitely wasn't a good idea, but how could she tell Harin about it? She didn't want Harin to know that her friend, Heeseung, didn't want to have a soulmate.

Everyone did. Even if anyone said they don't want a soulmate anymore, deep inside, they do. They want to see colors, but not alone. They want to be together with the person the universe chose for them. Because that choice wasn't just random.

"Let's go. He must be inside." Harin said and pushed her friend's wheelchair inside the store, looking around for any sight of Heeseung. And as if he was waiting for them, he walked out of the back room before he froze in his place at the sight of her. "Heeseung!"

"H-hi?" He muttered, frowning while his eyes were still glued on Rose. 

It felt as if they were attached with an invisible string, bringing them closer the more distant they were. 

The universe was playing with them.

But neither knew how heartbreaking the game was.