16 - Unbreak

"Are you okay?" Rose sighed at how cliché the question was, but she couldn't avoid it when it was Harin who was worried about her. 

"I'm trying to be okay," She admitted, gently resting the brush against the canvas. "But it's hard, you know? I feel like I'm barely holding it together."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about him. I never knew the two of you would be... soulmates." She reached out, holding Rose's hand and gently stroking its back with her thumb. "I was over the could when you told me you met your soulmate... but when I knew it was Heeseung, my heart sank to the deepest depths. I saw your dreams shattering in front of my own eyes and I- I'm so sorry."

"You couldn't have known. None of us could." Rose whispered, her voice trembling. "Don't blame yourself. Please."

And then they were hugging each other, Harin's tears soaking into Rose's shoulder as they clung to one another. The weight of their emotions hung heavy in the air, mingling with the scent of paint and the soft hum of music playing in the background. Words became unnecessary, and the two of them stayed there, comforting each other with their mere presence. 

"We met in high school, and he was such a nice friend. We were eight friends, and we spent all the time together. Until I came back home after college, and he eventually came here. Then he told me about the... news and I almost lost my mind. He's my favorite among all our friends, and I couldn't take in the fact that there would be a time when he won't exist. It was too hard to believe it, but I had no other choice than be happy for him, even if it's a happiness so full of sadness and sorrow." 

Rose listened, her hands still resting on Harin's as she gazed at her with soft eyes and a bitter smile. "You're such a good friend, aren't you? I'm sure you shared his dreams, hopes, and laughter. And now you're sharing his pain."

"You and Heeseung are one of the most beautiful people I've ever met, and the two of you being soulmates makes even the most breathtaking love stories pale in comparison. It's bittersweet, isn't it? Love has a way of breaking us and healing us at the same time. It's a paradox we can never fully comprehend."

Rose smiled, looking back at the white canvas with the single dot in the middle. Her fingers absentmindedly traced the bristles of the paintbrush when she thought of something beautiful. Sometimes, life throws us into the depths of darkness, and all we can do is find solace in the fragments of light that remain. And so, she packed her tools and decided to go to him. 

"Should I go with you?" Her grandmother asked, concern etched on her features. She knew the pain of losing her own soulmate, therefore she knew what was on Rose's mind. And all that chaos wasn't too pretty for a girl like her.

"Thank you, Grandma, but I'll be fine. I need to be there for him." Rose understood her grandmother's concern, but she also knew deep within her heart that she had to do it on her own.

Her grandmother nodded, her weathered hands reaching out to gently cup Rose's face. "Take care of your own heart while tending to his."

"Are you ready?" Harin walked to them with a smile, resting her hand on Rose's grandmother's shoulder to let her know everything would be okay. With a final embrace, she started pushing Rose's wheelchair, silently, until they made it to Heeseung's studio where he was distracting himself with work. 

He felt enough guilt for not being able to make more dresses, but he just wanted to keep the promises he made to so many brides. When Rose and Harin walked inside, his tired eyes lit up as he caught sight of his soulmate, and the corners of his lips went up.

"I'm here." She whispered softly as he walked to her, his eyes overflowing with love. Then he looked at Harin who playfully nudged his arm and laughed half-heartedly. 

"Thank you." He said and she nodded, finally getting to witness his genuine smile. She knew very well that he was the happiest with Rose, even if he claimed he didn't want a soulmate. It was ironic of him when he wrote pages about her in his diary. That was a secret Harin kept, treasuring the depth of Heeseung's feelings for Rose before he even met her. 

"I'll leave you two now. I have a needy husband at home." With a knowing smile, she squeezed Heeseung's arm affectionately. "Go ahead and enjoy your time together."

With that, Harin quietly left the studio, giving Rose and Heeseung the space they needed to heal. Rose settled comfortably in her wheelchair, her sketchbook resting on her lap. She looked at Heeseung, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. "So, my muse, what shall we create today?

"I'm your muse?" He chuckled, his weariness momentarily casting aside. 

"Who else could inspire me the way you do?" She raised her eyebrows teasingly. 

"Well, in that case, I better live up to my muse duties, shouldn't I? But only if you promise to capture my dashing good looks on paper."

"I wouldn't miss the opportunity to immortalize your dashing good looks in my art-" She paused, her words hitting a bittersweet note. "For as long as I can."

Heeseung's smile softened, understanding the weight behind Rose's words. "And for as long as you do, I will forever cherish every stroke of your brush, every line and color that brings me to life on those pages."

That brought a genuine smile to her lips and she found herself too immersed in her art. Because he was art himself. Heeseung returned to his worktable, surrounded by bolts of fabric and the tools of his craft. They worked in harmony, their creative energies merging, each stroke and stitch infused with their love. The place was filled with sketches that danced with life and dresses that seemed to possess a heartbeat.

"What do you want to do...?" Before you're gone. Her question made him smile bitterly, still focused on his work. "I'm curious. I don't know much about you, after all."

"I'd rather you don't know me too well. It'd be hard for you to let me go." He was right. The more she spent time with him, the more she knew about his life, the more she wanted him to stay forever.

"Yeah..." Rose nodded, looking back at her sketchbook. She couldn't deny the truth in Heeseung's words, even though it pained her. It was easier to let go of someone when there were fewer attachments, and fewer memories shared. 

There was a silence in the studio as Rose's eyes grew heavy and overcame her. Her eyes fluttered shut while she dreamed of colors and textures, of threads intertwining to create something extraordinary. But when she stirred from her restful sleep, a gentle warmth enveloped her. She slowly became aware of a soft fabric beneath her, the comforting weight of a blanket, and the gentle rise and fall of her own breath. She opened her eyes, adjusting to the soft light that filtered through the windows.

And there, beside her, was Heeseung, his head resting on the edge of the couch, his dark hair falling gently across his forehead. His hand held hers as if he never wanted to let go.

She reached her fingers out to brush a strand of hair away from his face when he held it, stopping her midway. She froze, her heart skipping a beat as Heeseung's hand gently clasped hers, slowly placing it against his cheek.

"Please," He whispered. "Let's stay like this for a little longer. Let me memorize your touch."