25 - Friendly Date

The next day, Y/N took her dog to the vet for a checkup, wanting to ensure that Danbi was alright after the incident the previous evening. The vet examined him carefully and assured Y/N that apart from a few bruises and some residual anxiety, Danbi would be just fine. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Y/N. You shouldn't have to go through something so scary," Haejun, the vet, said empathetically, gently patting Danbi's head.

"It was really frightening, but I'm just glad Danbi and I are both okay now." She smiled when he patted her back and gave her a reassuring. He's been friends with Y/N for so long and he was always so kind and supportive. "Thank you for always being there, Haejun."

"Don't thank me, I do this because it's my job... and because I really care about you, you know?" He smiled, tilting his head to catch a glimpse of her smile. "That being said, can we go out for dinner? I'd like to take your mind off things and celebrate that you and Danbi are safe." The words made her heart flutter and she nodded happily, knowing that Haejun was one of the nicest people she had ever met.

The two of them met in high school and reunited again that one night when Y/N rushed with Danbi to the vet. She remembered she had a crush on him back in school, when she used to watch him play basketball with his friends, never knowing that one day he'd step into her life again and be interested enough in her to ask her out for dinner. 

Upon going back to her place, she went through her wardrobe and picked the black dress that she had been keeping for a special occasion and slipped it on. "I never knew I'd look this good in this dress," she mused to herself as she examined her reflection in the mirror. The black dress hugged her figure gracefully, and it made her confidence boost. With her makeup and hair done, she put on her heels and stepped out of the apartment when it was time for Haejun to come pick her up. 

"Oh, Noona," Minjae was playing in front of the door, and when he saw Y/N dressed up, he gasped in amazement. "Pretty." 

Y/N smiled warmly before she crouched down to his level and ruffled his hair. "Thank you, Minjae. Uhm, where is your daddy?" 

"Working." He smiled, his dimples showing as she nodded at him. 

"Don't play far away from home, okay? Your daddy is going to be worried." Minjae nodded, understanding, and Y/N gave him a quick hug before straightening up. Just then, Haejun's car parked across the two and Haejun stepped out, opening the door for Y/N who waved goodbye to Minjae. "Thank you for picking me up," Y/N said to Haejun as she slid into the car, settling into the comfortable leather seats.

"No worries at all," He smiled warmly at her, his eyes sparkling with something that made Y/N's heart flutter. "You look... stunning."

Y/N blushed, grateful for the dim lighting in the car that hid her embarrassment. "Thank you. You're quite the gentleman, Haejun."

"I try my best, especially for someone as special as you, Y/N." He chuckled softly, his eyes never leaving the road as the two drove to the restaurant he had reserved. And when dinner was done, the two just strolled along the quiet streets, enjoying the crisp night air and each other's company. "I believe all of us have a galaxy in us - a beautiful one that waits to be discovered," said Haejun as he smoothly interrupted the peaceful silence.

"But how do we know that it's beautiful? I mean maybe to our eyes, yes, but what about the real galaxy?" Y/N uttered as she kicked an invisible stone and locked her hands on her back. She did quite enjoy the conversations Haejun had with her, sometimes deep, sometimes empty but he just appeared to know the right words to say.

"Maybe you're right," He responded as he seriously thought about her statement. "But sometimes eyes see what hearts desire." Then he came to a halt and playfully turned on his heels to face Y/N - and she only then noticed that they already arrived at her home. Amusing how fast time passed when she was with him. "I guess this is the goodbye of today."

"You always say this and text me five minutes later," She reminded, playfully shaking her head at him.

"- and you never seemed to complain about it," added Haejun smoothly only to earn himself a chuckle. Then, he just raised his hand to rub his neck and simply smiled at Y/N. "I had a good time with you. I hope you feel better." 

"Yeah. Thank you, Haejun. I really appreciate it." She nodded at him, and for a moment, there was a flicker of something more in his eyes. "Goodbye for now."

"Goodbye, Y/N." That was usually how their 'friendly' dates would go. He would take her somewhere to eat, fancy or cheap because she never cared, she only cared about his company. It wasn't anything official, but it felt like a date. And Haejun, while always polite and friendly, seemed to be dropping hints and showing more affection with each passing meet-up which made her wonder where their relationship was headed.

However, when she stepped inside the building and found Heeseung outside his door, her thoughts about Haejun momentarily shifted. He was dressed in gray sweatpants and a black shirt and Y/N found herself fantasizing about how he looked casual yet attractive. "Heeseung?" She hesitantly called, watching him as he turned around and stared at her with eyes filled with surprise. "Hi."

Y/N didn't know that his heart skipped a beat at that moment. She didn't know that he found her very, very beautiful, dressed in her black dress with a soft smile on her lips. "Hey, Y/N," Heeseung finally managed to reply, his voice soft. "You look... pretty."

"Minjae said the same thing..." She looked down, trying to hide the blush creeping up her cheeks. "Like father, like son, I guess?"

He leaned against the doorframe, a small smile playing on his lips. "I suppose so. He said 'Someone picked up pretty Noona'. "

"He did?" Her eyes widened in delight and she smiled. "Yeah, I had dinner with a friend. I'm pretty sure that's who he meant." She didn't know why it almost looked like he was concealing a sigh of relief, but she brushed off the thought, not wanting to overanalyze the situation. "Oh, and I wanted to thank you for yesterday. I don't usually have panic attacks but yesterday, with what happened, I just felt overwhelmed. But I'm glad you were there."

Heeseung nodded, his expression softening. "I'm glad I could be there for you, Y/N. You don't have to thank me for that. Anytime you need someone to talk to or just be there, I'm just next door." His words were as comforting as usual and she thanked him before excusing herself, but he called her name, making her pause and turn back to him. "Actually, I wanted to ask you for a favor... if you don't mind."

Y/N's heart skipped a beat when she watched him look away, hesitating, almost like he was searching for the right words. And she could never guess what kind of favor made him this nervous and vulnerable.