15 - Promise, My Love

Rose hugged him closer, letting her head rest on his chest. She never felt as peaceful as she did right then, perhaps because she felt whole and complete. Their heartbeats synced with each other as they slept, their breathing slow and even.

The world around them faded away. All of their worries and fears seemed to disappear, replaced only by the comfort of each other's embrace. Rose had never felt so content, so at peace. It was as if all the broken pieces of herself had finally come together, forming a complete and whole person.

At that moment, she knew that nothing else mattered as long as she had him by her side. But that was ironic because she knew she couldn't have him for too long. Gosh, she didn't even know if she'd see him again.

Their heartbeats were the only sounds in the room, a steady rhythm that lulled them both into a deep and restful sleep. And as they slept, their bodies entwined, it was as if they were two halves of a whole, finally reunited after a long, heartbreaking journey.

Rose was well aware that once she opens her eyes, all those dreams of them together will fade away. She knew that one day she'd wake up without his presence in her world, and everything would go back to black and white.

"Rose..." Heeseung's voice was above a whisper as he reached out his hand and gently stroke her hair, making her eyes widen slightly. "I regret not holding you like this sooner."

It's never too late. She could have said that, yet she didn't know if she could really. Wasn't it too late? When they were running out of time?

She turned her head slightly, her gaze meeting Heeseung's searching eyes. She could see her reflection, so much longing, regret, and a bittersweet acceptance. Bringing her hand up, she cupped Heeseung's cheek, her touch feather-light against his skin. The warmth of his presence coursed through her fingertips, and she mustered a tender smile, despite the heavy ache in her heart.

"Heeseung," she whispered, her voice almost breaking. "It may not be enough time, but I'm grateful for every second, every heartbeat I get to share with you."

"I'm sorry." His eyes welled up with tears, his emotions raw and unguarded. His fingers intertwined with hers, and he squeezed her hand gently. "I'm taking away a lot of things you wished for, and I can't do anything ab-"

"All I wished for was to be with you, just like this." She pulled him closer, her face buried in the crook of his neck, inhaling his familiar scent. And she cried, for every dream that seemed just out of reach, for the moments they could have had but didn't. "I only need this moment. It's everything to me."

He held her tightly, his arms like a blanket around her. Rose could feel his love, his longing, and his unspoken apology. Their love was both a blessing and a curse, but neither would trade a moment of their time together. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities, and their love was infinite which defied the constraints of their finite lives.

"I will hold you in my heart for eternity."

She clung to him, her heart aching. She knew that their love story was not one of forever, but it was a love story nonetheless. It was a tale of two souls who found peace in each other's embrace, even if their time together was fleeting. It was hard to push away that thought deep inside her mind and enjoy their time, but she knew she had to do it.

Eventually, she was sitting in her wheelchair while watching him work. He was busy sewing dresses, pouring his heart and soul into each delicate stitch. The room was filled with the soft sound of the sewing machine and the faint scent of fabric and thread. "You should take a break."

"I will." He muttered and when she realized what he meant, her heart sank to the ground. "I want to make sure every bride feels beautiful on their special day. It's my way of leaving a lasting impact, even if I'm not here."