30 - Slowly & All At Once

That day, after Harin left her apartment, Y/N sat there with the plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies that Heeseung had brought over and Danbi resting his head on her lap. She let out a frustrated sigh, wondering why she kept doing the wrong things. She didn't mean to mess things up with Heeseung, but it seemed like every step she took brought her two steps back.

Taking a bite of the cookies he made with Minjae, she could feel herself smile a little at how tasty they were. He said he was a bad cook yet he still went out of his way and baked these delicious cookies. The thought made her heart flutter but she sighed again, knowing that perhaps she ruined her chances of being more than just neighbors or friends with Heeseung. 

"I'll just take a step back. Maybe I'm reading too much into things." Y/N stroked his fur absentmindedly, lost in thought. 

A few days had passed and the two of them didn't talk. Minjae would occasionally come to her place to play with Danbi and she welcomed him with open arms, but her interactions with Heeseung were minimal. She tried to give him the space he might need, focusing on her work and spending time with Harin and her dog.

It was a school reunion that day when Y/N stood in front of her mirror, checking herself one last time before she walked out of the building and towards Haejun who waited outside his car. "Hi." She smiled and he tilted his head, his eyes softening. "Gosh, I'm so excited for today. I can't wait to see all our classmates."

"Me too." She watched as he opened the door for her and she thanked him before the two drove together to the school reunion. "Meeting our old classmates is going to be a lot of fun," Haejun continued, breaking the silence. "And it's a great way to catch up with everyone. Yejin is going to announce her engagement tonight, you know?"

Y/N's eyes widened in surprise. "She is? Wait, to Sangwook?" When Haejun smiled and nodded, a gasp of delight escaped Y/N's lips. "She always told us he's the only one she wants to marry. They're such a lovely couple. I'm so happy for them."

"Yes, they are. Even though her father didn't agree with the marriage initially, they managed to convince him in the end."

"I know Yejin. She probably blackmailed him or something," Y/N chuckled, remembering how stubborn her friend was. And she loved Sangwook so much she could imagine her going to great lengths to win her father's approval.

"Wouldn't surprise me." Haejun chuckled, the sound making Y/N's stomach flutter with warmth. Just the fact that he was there for her, that he once ran to her house at two in the morning because Danbi had a minor accident, made her appreciate his friendship even more. She glanced at him, taking in his beautiful smile and the way the dim moonlight played across his features. "How's things with your neighbor?"

His words snapped her out of her trance and she looked out the window, momentarily forgetting her own concerns and embarrassment about her neighbor, Heeseung. "Oh, um, things with my neighbor... I did apologize but it's been a bit complicated. I think it's better for both of us to take some time to cool off and sort things out."

"Right. It will be okay." He muttered, giving her a quick reassuring smile before looking back at the road. When they arrived at their old high school, he opened the door for her and held her hand as she stepped out of the car. The cool night air brushed against her skin, and the distant laughter of their friends inside the building filled the surroundings.

"Oh Gosh, Y/N and Haejun!" Inside, familiar faces and warm greetings welcomed the two of them and she smiled, feeling nostalgic all of a sudden. It was as if time had stood still, and they were all back in high school, sharing laughs and silly stories just like they used to. 

"I always told you guys Y/N and Hajun are endgame. Look at how perfect they are together!" One of their friends exclaimed teasingly and Y/N could feel her cheeks warm up when Haejun stared at her with his beautiful, soft eyes. She could tell them they were just friends but the way he looked at her made her heart flutter.

However, when she looked around and her eyes met Heeseung's, Y/N thought that the world had stopped for a moment. She couldn't understand why he was there when it was supposed to be a reunion of her old high school friends. Unless he was one of those old high school friends she hadn't been aware of. The thought made her curious but also a bit anxious. Haejun noticed her distraction and gently squeezed her hand. "Is everything okay?"

She wanted to brush it off but one of her old classmates walked to Heeseung and gave him a light hug. "Guys, Heeseung finally made it. Man, it's been ages since we've seen you." Y/N watched the interaction, her heart pounding in her chest. It seemed Heeseung was indeed an old high school friend, someone she hadn't known about until now. "You don't even come to these reunions- wait, why are you looking at Y/N? Her man is right there."

"No-" Things were going completely off-script, and Y/N couldn't help but feel flustered by the situation.

Heeseung's friendly smile wavered for a split second as he glanced at Y/N, leaving her a bit perplexed. "Actually, she's my neighbor. I'm just realizing she's one of our former classmates. We met by chance when I moved into her building recently."

"Ah," Y/N could hear Haejun clearing his throat beside her. He put on a friendly smile and extended his hand towards Heeseung. "I'm Haejun, Y/N's friend. Nice to meet you."

Heeseung shook Haejun's hand, though there was a hint of tension in the air. "Likewise."

"Come on guys, we have a basketball game to play." Heeseung and Haejun were pulled by the same guy and toward the basketball court that had been set up for the reunion. Y/N watched them go, her heart racing. No matter how much she tried to calm herself, the situation had taken an unexpected turn, and it weighed heavily on her mind.

"Wow, Y/N, Heeseung and Haejun?" One of her old classmates nudged her arm, giving her a cheeky grin. "I remember you had a crush on Haejun but now you've got both of them in the same room. You're living every K-drama's dream love triangle."

"It's not what it looks like, really. I just met Heeseung when he moved in next door, and I had no idea he was from our school until now. And Haejun is just a friend. I don't think there's any kind of love triangle happening," Y/N tried to explain, feeling a bit flustered by her classmate's teasing.

The game was about to start and everyone sat in the bleachers, cheering on their former classmates playing on the court. Y/N's eyes were glued on Heeseung who played like a pro. He looked very good, with his sleeves rolled up and his hair slightly ruffled from the game. He rested his hand on his hip, running a hand through his hair before glancing at Y/N, who was caught in the moment, unable to look away. She felt her cheeks flush as their eyes briefly met, but before she could react, the game continued.

He tore his gaze away from her and ran across the court, chasing the basketball. Her heart raced as she watched him, and it became increasingly clear to her that her feelings for Heeseung were more than just those of a neighbor and friend. If she claimed that she wasn't planning to fall in love with Heeseung, she would only be lying to herself. 

She was falling for him the way you fall asleep; without realizing it was happening until you were already in too deep.