31 - The Moon Is Beautiful

The game ended with thunderous applause and cheers from the spectators, including Y/N. Heeseung's team had won, and he had played a crucial role in securing the victory. He was sweaty and out of breath as he walked off the court, and Y/N couldn't tear her eyes away from him. Her heart did somersaults as she watched him and she swallowed a lump when he walked to her. 

"Congra-" She was about to speak when he walked past her, acting as if she wasn't there. Confusion and disappointment swept over Y/N as she watched Heeseung pass by without acknowledging her presence. She understood she had crossed a line but it didn't mean he had to avoid her the way he was doing now.

"Y/N," Haejun walked to her, catching his breath before he rested his forehead against her shoulder. "Please stay like this for a moment," he whispered, and Y/N could feel his warmth against her.

"You played very well," The smile on her face was small, almost shy, as she let him catch his breath. 

"We didn't win but I had a great time. For a moment I thought I was back in high school playing basketball while you stole glances at me from afar." His words made Y/N blush slightly. He pulled away, his face so close to hers and she could swear she felt her heart flutter. 

Haejun looked like a shot of espresso. He looked incredibly attractive when he wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand, but it was his chuckle that made her smile. His laughter, so familiar and yet somehow new, was like the rich, resonant notes of a favorite song. It wrapped around Y/N's heart like a comforting embrace, rekindling the old sparks and igniting new ones.

"You did have quite a lot of fans back then." She shrugged, trying to make it look like she didn't spend hours and hours stealing glances at him during high school.

Haejun chuckled again, a sound that was as irresistible as it was infectious. "Well, I had one fan that mattered the most to me," He said, his eyes locking with hers in a way that sent a delightful shiver down her spine. He wasn't the flirty type of guy, but there was something about the way he looked at Y/N that spoke volumes. "Yejin is going to announce her engagement now. We should head back to the main area." 

With that, the two went to where everyone was reunited, the laughter and chatter of their old classmates filling the room. She could spot Heeseung from the corner of her eye, sitting with his old friends and laughing in a way she had never seen before. He seemed relaxed and genuinely happy, and it brought warmth to her heart to see him in such a positive light.

He didn't look like a single father; more like a man who had found his place in the world, surrounded by friends who cared about him. Being a single father in a society that often judged and misunderstood single parents, Y/N knew that Heeseung must have faced his share of hardships. But he loved his son more than anything, and that love had undoubtedly played a part in shaping the man she had come to care about deeply.

"So, we have a surprise for you all," Yejin stood up, shyly showing the ring Sangwook had put on her finger. The room quieted down, and all eyes turned to the newly engaged couple. "We're engaged!" At that, everyone started cheering for them and whistling and clapping in celebration. 

Sangwook stood up, bowing at everyone as if he just won an Oscar. "See? I'm a man worth waiting for," That earned him a smack from Yejin who laughed and rolled her eyes. "What? You know it's true. Yo, when are you making the move, Haejun?"

Y/N looked at Haejun who smiled and shrugged playfully. "Well, Sangwook, I'm not one to steal the spotlight from a newly engaged couple. But I'll make my move when the time is right." He replied, his gaze briefly flickering to Y/N before returning to Sangwook. He didn't want to pressure her or make her feel uncomfortable, but he was going to give her space before confessing that he wanted her.

When the night finally drew to a close, Y/N was walking through the old school's courtyard, her steps hesitant. And when she was about to turn around and leave, his voice pierced the silence. "Don't avoid me." 

She turned to look at him, her heart pounding in her chest. "I just thought you'd want some space. I understand if things are a bit awkward after what happened."

"And yet I don't want to avoid you, Y/N," She watched as he took a step closer, the moonlight casting soft shadows on his features. "I'm not upset with you." 

"But I keep messing up, don't I? I've only known you for a few days and yet, I feel like I've already made so many mistakes. I didn't mean to pry into your personal life or make you uncomfortable and I'm sure Harin didn't mean to overstep either."

"I know. It's fine. People usually wonder about it when they find out about Minjae. It's just that I've always been cautious because I didn't want him to feel different or treated unfairly... I don't want him to think that his father had done something that made his mother leave or abandon him. He thinks his mother left for work abroad, and I want to protect that image for as long as possible."

Y/N's eyes softened and before she knew it, they were glistening with tears. "I'm sorry," She looked away, fanning herself with her hand. "I didn't mean to pry into something so personal. I had no idea, Heeseung. I'm so sorry-" Just then, he held her hand and pulled her to his chest, wrapping his arms around her in a gentle embrace.

"You should return the hug I gave you the other day." At his words, Y/N allowed herself to smile and lift her arms, returning the embrace with equal tenderness. She rested her head against Heeseung's chest, her heart gradually finding peace in the warmth of his hug. It felt like they knew each other way before, perhaps in another life, or another lifetime.

"You studied in the same high school as me," When they pulled away, she wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand and smiled. "That's a real surprise."

"Yeah. I actually recognized you the moment we met in the hallway of our building. But you don't seem to remember me." The way he scratched the back of his neck made him look endearingly sheepish as if he had just confessed a long-kept secret.

"I'm so sorry, Heeseung," She admitted, her cheeks flushing slightly. "High school feels like a lifetime ago, and I must confess, I wasn't the most observant student back then. You're my senior so we probably didn't have many chances to cross paths. I might have been a bit too overwhelmed by the idea of interacting with upperclassmen anyway."

"High school can be a blur for all of us. But it's really funny how life brings people back together when the time is right." He let out a breath of contentment and looked up at the sky. "The moon is beautiful, isn't it?" The words made Y/N pause for a moment, watching Heeseung as he gazed at the moon, his eyes filled with wonder. She followed his gaze and saw the silvery orb hanging in the night sky, letting an ethereal glow shadow over everything.

"Yes, it is," She replied, her voice hushed, as if they were sharing a secret with the moon itself.