40 - Triangle-Free Zone

"Danbi," Upon stepping inside her apartment, Heeseung and Minjae crouched down to greet Y/N's dog who eagerly wagged his tail and leaped up to shower them with affection. Heeseung scratched her behind the ears and gently pet her back, earning excited barks and more tail-wagging. "Your mommy got hurt so be gentle with her."

The way he called her "your mommy" made her cheeks redden and she bit her lower lip, trying to hide her embarrassment. Y/N had never thought she'd see the day when Heeseung would refer to her as Danbi's "mommy." It was both endearing and slightly awkward, but she couldn't help but find it adorable. 

Minjae gently patted Danbi's head. "It's okay, Danbi. We'll take care of Noona together." That earned a soft smile from Y/N knowing that he cared about her as much as his father did. 

Heeseung had managed to bring Minjae back from daycare before the three of them could spend the rest of the day in the cozy apartment, forming a little family. "Come here, I'll help you to the couch. You still don't know how to handle those crutches properly," Heeseung, wrapping one arm around her waist to support her as she hobbled over to the couch. Minjae followed and snuggled up beside her, while Danbi, now a bit calmer, found a spot at her feet, his tail still wagging.

"Noona, can I draw on your cast now?" Minjae's eyes sparkled with excitement, and he held up a set of colored markers he had brought from his frog bag. Before Heeseung could stop him, she adjusted her casted leg, giving him better access while he put his markers on the coffee table.

"Are you sure you want to go around with his drawings on your cast?" Heeseung's question made her smile and she nodded, not minding at all. The fact that Minjae wanted to participate in her recovery meant the world to her.

"He can be my little artist." She replied, ruffling Minjae's hair, who was busy drawing colorful animals, stars, and even, smiling suns. "See? It's already turning into a masterpiece. A white cast is boring and blank, anyway. You can draw something too, if you want." At that, Heeseung grinned and grabbed one of the markers from the table before he crouched down beside the couch. She watched with delight as Heeseung doodled a tiny heart with their initials inside, H+Y, and a small flower next to it. "I didn't know you were this cheesy."

Heeseung laughed softly as he finished his drawing. "Well, I've got to keep up with you, don't I?" When he looked up at her, the way her cheeks were tainted with a faint red made his heart skip a beat and he had to swallow a lump in his throat. But right then, as if it was the most perfect moment, someone knocked on her door and Y/N's heart skipped a beat as she exchanged a confused look with Heeseung. Who could it be? She hadn't expected any visitors today. 

She watched as he rose from the floor, carefully placing the marker back on the coffee table before he opened the door, only to find Haejun standing there with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. The sight of him made her freeze and she could tell he was equally surprised, more like disappointed, to see Heeseung there. "Hello." He spoke, though his eyebrows were furrowed as he stared at Minjae then back at Heeseung whose jaw tightened slightly at the unexpected guest.

"Hey," He muttered and Y/N could swear she felt a chill in the room as the two men's eyes locked for a brief moment. "I didn't think you'd come at this hour. Seems like you're pretty close Y/N." Uh oh. Heeseung's tone wasn't lost on Y/N. She thought she had all the time in the world to think about the two men's confessions and how she felt, but this was not the way she had hoped things would unfold.

"I wanted to visit and see how she was doing," He said, his voice strained. "I didn't realize she had company."

"Yeah, well, we can leave." When Heeseung turned to look at Y/N, she really didn't like how he appeared uncomfortable, but she couldn't blame him. "Come on, Minjae. Let's leave your Noona alone with Haejun. See? He even bought her flowers." The last comment was to him more than anyone else. "Good night, Y/N." She bit her lip and before she could say anything, she just watched him carry his son out of the apartment and close the door behind him, a little too forcefully.

Haejun stood in the doorway, holding the bouquet of flowers in one hand, looking a bit uncertain. "Is he always like this or just around me?" He crouched down, petting Danbi who had rushed over to greet him. "I could tell in the school reunion that he had some... reservations about me."

"No, it's not really about you," She replied, her voice soft and unsure while she shifted uncomfortably on the couch. "He's just... protective, I guess. He took me to the hospital and had a day off at work so he could take care of me. I think he's just worried."

"I see." He smiled a little, though it was a pained smile. He held out the bouquet of flowers. "I brought these for you. I thought they might brighten up your day a little." The way he looked at her with those beautiful eyes of his made her feel a pang of guilt. Haejun had been nothing but kind and considerate, and she didn't want to hurt him. She accepted the bouquet and breathed in the scent of the flowers. "I remembered lilies are your favorite." 

"Yeah," She smiled, giving him a smile that could, most probably, leave him sleepless for nights, thinking of just how perfect her smile was. He always found himself thinking of the way her eyes sparkled when strawberries were mentioned because she just loved them so much, or the way she hummed her favorite songs when she thought no one was listening. There were so many things about her that had stayed etched in his memory, even after all these years. And to Y/N, he was the kind of person who seemed to always know the right things to say and do. "Thank you. I think I'm going to cry when they wilt."

"I can bring you more when they do," Haejun said softly and she chuckled, making him cross his legs and raise his eyebrow in amusement. "Why not? If that's what it takes to see you smile like that."

Y/N couldn't choose one of them. Her heart ached at the thought that she just couldn't hurt Haejun, not when he had been so caring and thoughtful. Not when being with him felt like slipping into an old, cozy sweater. So, instead of being honest with him and breaking the heart that he had laid out on the line, she decided to keep her feelings for Heeseung to herself for now. "You're too good for me." 

She had always been a people-pleaser, someone who hated confrontation and tried to make everyone around her happy. But right now, that trait was working against her because the more she avoided being honest, the more Haejun was going to get attached, and the harder it would be to tell him the truth later.

"Does your foot hurt? Do you need anything? I can be of some help, you know." He smiled and she nodded, trying not to show her internal struggle.

"It does hurt. Can you... help me to my bed? I think I'm very exhausted. My whole body feels like it's been through a lot today," Y/N said with a faint smile. She knew it wasn't entirely a lie; whatever she was going through had left her drained. Before she knew it, his arm went under her leg and he carried her as if she was as light as a feather. Haejun carefully carried her to the bedroom, setting her down gently on the bed.

"This is the first time I've been in your bedroom," He smiled, looking around curiously. "It's nice in here. Very cozy and... it's definitely yours." That earned a chuckle from Y/N who lay on her bed, hugging Danbi who had hopped onto the bed and curled up beside her. Her eyes almost closed and he gently reached out, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "You should rest, Y/N. I'll stay for a while and then head out. You've had a long day." 

Y/N's lips curled into a small smile. She wanted to thank him for being there, for getting her her favorite flowers, but the words remained trapped on her lips and started to doze off.