34 - Figments Of Imagination

Work wasn't what was on Y/N's mind even when she sat in the office, her eyes glued to her computer's screen without realizing what was on the spreadsheet in front of her. Her thoughts kept drifting back to Heeseung and the way he made her feel. His beautiful eyes, the way strands of hair fell softly on his forehead, the way his hands felt against her body—it all played in her mind like a beautiful melody.

She had never been this attracted to someone before, but with him, it felt different, deeper. She wanted him; wanted his attention and affection and everything in between. But reality had its grip on her, and she knew she had to understand and respect his situation. Heeseung was a single father, and Minjae's well-being was his top priority.

Her dreams of him weren't so vivid anymore. She would rather see him every day, be a part of his life, be there for Minjae, and just let things unfold naturally, in their own time. But that day, when she went back home and decided to take a nap with Danbi sleeping in her arms, her dreams couldn't help but return to Heeseung. But this time, it was the same dreams that haunted her before she even got to meet him. 

The world was in black and white. No color was visible, just shades of gray. She sat in a wheelchair, staring at the picture of Heeseung while some men carried his coffin. And then she was crying, people around her were almost ignoring her. She felt foreign as if she didn't belong there. She wasn't supposed to be there.

Y/N tried to stand up but she failed and ended up falling to the hard ground. She couldn't feel her legs and her heart pounded with fear and confusion. The world around her continued to move in grayscale, and she struggled to make her way toward Heeseung's photograph, a desperate yearning in her heart.

People said he passed away due to cancer. They said she had lost her soulmate and her world was never going to be painted with the colors he brought into her life.

The dream felt so painfully real, as if it was another reality. Another world. She couldn't understand. Perhaps it was more than a mere dream.

Just as she was about to reach Heeseung's photograph, her hand brushed it, and it began to ripple like water. Everything around her started to blur and before she knew it, her eyes fluttered open. She was panting, sweat glistening on her forehead. She could still feel the remnants of that dream, the overwhelming sense of loss and confusion. It had felt so vivid, so real, and it left her shaken. "Danbi..." She didn't even realize she was crying, and when she wanted to get out of bed, her legs gave up on her and she tumbled to the floor, disoriented and terrified.

Danbi was by her side in an instant, licking her face and whining, as if trying to comfort her. But all she could think about was Heeseung. Was he gone? Did he face such a tragic fate in reality? The dream had been so vivid, so haunting, and Y/N couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled in her heart. 

Shakily, she managed to get on her feet and rushed out of her apartment before knocking on his door. Her heart was pounding, and her palms were sweaty as she anxiously waited for Heeseung to answer. It was late at night but all she cared about was him. All she wanted to see right then was him, to reassure herself that he was safe and sound.

The door opened, and Heeseung stood before her, his eyes filled with concern. He wore a cozy, worn-out sweater, his hair ruffled from sleep. "Y/N, what happened? You're-" But all she did was wrap her arms around him and bury her face against his chest. The scent of his sweater, the warmth of his body, it all felt so real and she could finally let out all the emotions she had been holding back. She let out a muffled sob as she clung to him, her fingers gripping the fabric of his sweater. 

"I had this terrible dream..." She choked out, her voice trembling as she tried to explain. "I dreamt that you were... that something happened to you."

His initial surprise gave way to understanding and he held her gently, caressing her hair to make her feel safe. "Shh, it's alright, Y/N. I'm here, and I'm okay. It was just a dream." And a few minutes later, she was sitting on his couch with a blanket over her shoulder and a cup of warm tea in her hands. Heeseung sat beside her, his presence calming her anxious heart. "Do you feel better?"

She took a sip of the tea, its warmth soothing her nerves, then she nodded. "Yes. I'm sorry for barging in like this."

"It's okay, really. I couldn't sleep so I was just working on some designs." Heeseung reassured her, then smiled. "But now that you're here, I think it's the perfect time for a little break. How about we do something to take your mind off the dream?" His words made her cheeks warm up and she looked away, blinking as she avoided his gaze. The room felt a little more intimate, a little warmer.

Heeseung, noticing her reaction, leaned closer and gently turned her face back toward him. "Y/N, what's on your mind? You can talk to me about anything."

"I can't help but feel silly for coming over like this. It was just a dream, but it felt so real, and it scared me so much." That earned a soft smile from Heeseung as he ran his fingers through his already messy hair. "You're not sick or something, are you?"

He shook his head and ruffled her hair. "I'm very healthy, you know? I always try to take care of myself for Minjae. Why? Are you worried I might catch something from your dream?" He teased gently, making her shake her head. "I'm not going anywhere, and if you're still worried, here, you can touch me. Make sure I'm not just a figment of your imagination." Heeseung held out his hand for her to touch.

Y/N hesitated for a moment, her fingers hovering over his hand. Then, she gave him a playful smile and gently took his hand. "Well, you do feel real."

His smile widened, and he squeezed her hand gently. "I promise, I'm very much real. But I must say, I'm flattered you dream of me, Y/N." By then, she knew she was a blushing mess if not for the dim light in the room. Her cheeks were tinged with a rosy hue, and she tried to hide her embarrassment by taking another sip of the warm tea. "You know what? I also had a dream of you. It's weird actually, since it happened before we met. But I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I knew you from high school but it still felt strange to dream of you." 

She paused, looking at me with slightly wide eyes. "What... what happened in the dream?"

"Uhm," She watched as he scratched the back of his neck and chuckled nervously. "You were a painter. I remember you had an art gallery- it's funny, I know, but it's still pretty vivid in my mind."

"Heeseung.," She breathed, her eyes slightly glistening. "Do you... believe in past lives?"