38 - When It Rains, It Pours

"Is it okay to fall for the two of them at the same time?" That night, Y/N called Harin to tell her about the two confessions and the way her life had suddenly taken an unexpected turn. She lay on her bed and Danbi struggled at her feet while she traced random circles on the pillow she was hugging. She couldn't stop thinking about the choices she had to make. The room was quiet except for Harin's voice on the other end of the line.

"You know, there's no rule that says you have to choose one right now. Love is complex, and it's not always black and white. You have genuine feelings for both of them, and that's okay. It's not like you woke up one day and decided to fall for two handsome and literally perfect men. It just happened, and it's a part of life. Love is not always neat and tidy, and it doesn't always fit into the boxes we expect. What matters is how you feel and what you want. Don't rush to make a decision."

"But what if it hurts them? What if I end up hurting one of them because I can't make up my mind?" The thought that she might cause pain to either Haejun or Heeseung weighed heavily on Y/N's heart. She knew it was impossible to predict how her choices would affect them, but she also understood that, somehow, she needed to be honest with them. "I just don't know. Haejun's confession brought back all those old feelings I had for him, but now Heeseung... He's a really good guy. Like he's so perfect and caring and hot and the fact that he's a father makes him ten times hotter and more attractive. I get butterflies when I'm around him and he makes me feel like a teenager who just happened to have her first love"

"Girl, it seems to me that Heeseung has all your heart." Harin's words made her pause and she stared at the ceiling, trying to make sense of it. "Maybe the feelings you feel for Haejun are only guilt wrapped in nostalgia. You felt like you had to like him because of the past, but it doesn't mean you're still in love with him. And that's okay, Y/N. Sometimes we cling to the familiar because it's comforting, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's what we truly want or need."

"You're... I can't tell, but you might be right." 

"Girl, you've been single for so long and I was hoping you find yourself a boyfriend soon but not two. Damn. Okay, you love romance books a little too much maybe this is life's way of giving you some material for your own." Y/N just rolled her eyes and chuckled at Harin's humor. It was just the distraction she needed to ease her nerves. 

When the call ended she stared at her ceiling, and a long and heavy sigh left her lips. She had always dreamt of romance, of sleeping in someone's arms and feeling the warmth of love. But now that she was living it, it was nothing like the novels she had read. Real-life romance was messy, complicated, and it didn't come with a neatly packaged happy ending. And yet, it was always better than the books, because it was real.

"Who do you like better? Heeseung or Haejun?" She whispered to Danbi who stretched and slowly made his way to curl up beside her on the bed. The dog nuzzled her hand, and Y/N smiled, appreciating his comforting presence. "You can't choose, can you, Danbi?" She mused, gently petting his soft fur. "You probably like Minjae the most." At the mention of the kid's name, he wagged his tail, seemingly in agreement with her. 

The night went on in the blink of an eye and it was morning when Y/N dragged herself to the shower, her eyes half closed. The water was warm and soothing and she allowed herself to relax, the tension evaporating like the steam filling the bathroom. As she stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself in a fluffy towel, a smile formed on her face because of how much she appreciated these small moments of peace. 

But the moment she stepped out of the bathroom, her foot slipped on a puddle of water and she ended up on the floor with her foot aching as if she had stubbed it against something hard. She winced in pain and groaned, lying on the bathroom floor with her wet towel clinging to her body. "Of all the times to have an accident," Y/N mumbled, her face scrunched up in pain. Carefully standing up, she limped on one foot to the bedroom, holding onto the wall for support. Danbi followed her, tail wagging in concern as if he was checking on her to make sure she was okay. When she sat down and stared at her injured foot, it was starting to swell and turn a shade of angry blue. "Shit, I think I broke it," Y/N muttered under her breath.

She managed to hop around to get dressed so she could at least be somewhat presentable while seeking medical help. Heeseung was the only one she could call and he was next door so she decided to call him. "Uhm, hi. Good morning." She stammered when Heeseung answered her call.

"Good morning, Y/N. Is everything okay? You sound a little off," Heeseung responded, worry in his voice. It was morning and she hated to disturb him. She hated the fact that right after the two confessed their feelings, she had to reach out in such a situation.

"I had a little accident..." She bit her lip, trying to sound as calm as possible despite her painful foot. "I think I broke my foot." She could hear Heeseung's sharp intake of breath on the other end of the line. "Can you-"

"Hold on, Y/N. I'll be right over." The call ended abruptly and Y/N sat in the living room, breathing heavily while waiting for Heeseung. Yet not even five minutes later, her doorbell rang and she struggled to the door, hopping on one foot before she opened it to find Heeseung standing there, concern etched on his face.  

"Thank you for-" But Heeseung wasted no time. He gently carried her in his arms, making her widen her eyes and let out a surprised gasp as he swept her off her feet, quite literally. The feeling of being held by Heeseung was both unexpected and strangely comforting. She wrapped her arms around his neck for stability, feeling a rush of emotions she couldn't quite put into words.

"I'll take you to the hospital. Minjae, come on. Noona is hurt." She watched him, his face so close to hers, while he called for his son and retrieved his phone and keys. When he looked down at her and their eyes locked, she could swear he swallowed a lump in his throat. 

Heeseung gently settled her in the car and made sure she was comfortable before buckling her in. "Noona, are you okay?" Y/N tried her best to smile at the little boy and nodded her head. 

"I'm okay. Just a little hurt, but the doctors will make it better." Her attempt to reassure Minjae was met with a small, relieved smile from the young boy. And when Heeseung sat in his seat and started the car, his hand almost instinctively went to her forehead to check for a fever. His touch was gentle, cool, and if she could choose a word to describe it, soothing. "I'm fine." 

"If it hurts, Y/N, just let me know. It's okay if it does." His gaze was fixed on the road and hers was fixed on the way the veins in his arms seemed to flex slightly as he held the steering wheel. Was she fantasizing about his hands when she should be worrying about her injury? Yes. Yes, she was, and with the knowledge that her foot was indeed broken, reality came crashing back in.

Upon arriving at the hospital, he helped her out and carried her inside while Minjae stayed close by, his frog backpack swinging as he walked. "We need a doctor, please. I think she broke her foot," Heeseung explained to the hospital staff. 

"Come with me to the examination room," A nurse said, guiding Y/N in her wheelchair, and Heeseung and Minjae followed. "Are you her husband?" 

Heeseung paused for a moment, a subtle change in his expression. His gaze briefly met Y/N's, and there was a flicker of something in his eyes that she couldn't quite decipher. Then he replied, "No... no, I'm not."

Y/N didn't know why she was disappointed at his response. It was the truth, it was a fact, but no matter how many times she told herself that, a part of her had started to imagine something more. 

Emotions are complicated, the heart doesn't always adhere to logic, and she was nothing but a woman who longed for love.