36 - Park Confessions

"You're excited we're going to pick Minjae up?" She looked at Danbi who wagged his tail in response, clearly understanding the mention of Minjae's name. Y/N took her dog's leash and headed out, her heart still fluttering from Heeseung's forehead kiss. Her cheeks may or may not have been flushed from the touch, and her mind was still spinning with the affectionate gesture.

As they strolled along the tree-lined path to the daycare, Y/N felt like a mother who was about to reunite with her child, even though she technically wasn't Minjae's mother. She wondered if she could ever have a kid one day and be a good mother. It was way too early to think about children since she didn't even have a boyfriend, but seeing Minjae and the way Heeseung cared for him just made her heart ache with a longing she hadn't truly acknowledged before.

Upon arriving at the daycare, Y/N found Minjae playing with other children in the yard. His eyes lit up when he spotted her and Danbi. "Noona!" The way he left his friends and rushed to her made her eyes soften. He wrapped his little arms around Y/N's legs in a tight hug, and Danbi wagged his tail, clearly happy to see the boy as well.

Y/N knelt down to Minjae's level, returning his hug with a warm smile. "Hey, Minjae. Are you happy I'm here?" She watched a woman approach her with a polite smile and she nodded. "Hello, I'm Lee Y/N. Minjae's father informed you I'll be picking him up."

"Yes, he did." She smiled. "Minjae, you didn't tell us you have such a nice neighbor." 

Minjae beamed with pride, still holding onto Y/N's hand. "Noona is the best!" Y/N exchanged pleasantries with his teacher and thanked her for taking care of Minjae. With a gentle tug, she led Minjae away from the daycare, and they began their walk back home, with Danbi joyfully trotting by their side. "We painted a beautiful picture today, Noona! And I made a new friend named Jiho!" She listened attentively, her heart feeling lighter and happier with each word Minjae spoke. She couldn't shake the feeling that she had just witnessed a glimpse of what motherhood might be like.

"Your daddy said we can take Danbi to the park and play a little. Are you tired?" 

Minjae's eyes sparkled with excitement at the mention of going to the park. "I'm not tired at all, Noona! I want to play with Danbi at the park!" His enthusiasm was infectious, it made her laugh and ruffle his hair before they reached the neighborhood park, a small but peaceful green space with a playground and benches. Minjae eagerly let go of Y/N's hand and ran towards the swings. Danbi wagged his tail and followed Minjae as if they were the best of friends.

"Y/N?" Just as she was about to sit on one of the benches and watch Minjae play, she heard her name being called from behind. It was a familiar voice, and Y/N knew exactly who it was because he was the only person who called her name with so much warmth and affection. Y/N turned to find Haejun standing there, sweating and his muscles strained from what appeared to be a long jog. His hair was disheveled and he had the most beautiful smile plastered on his face. 

Goddamn it, he didn't have to look so incredibly handsome at that moment. Y/N's heart did a little flip as she took in his appearance. "Hey," She stood up, watching him approach her while she tried to hide the fact that her heart was beating a little faster. "Were you exercising?"

"Yeah, well," The way he put his hand on the back of his neck, looking all shy and charming, only made her heart flutter more. Y/N found herself drawing subtle circles with her foot. "I noticed you walking with the little kid and Danbi and thought I'd catch up with you."

Y/N's cheeks turned a faint shade of pink, and she couldn't help but smile. Haejun always had a way of making her feel a little flustered in the most endearing way. "That's sweet of you. Oh, and, that's Heeseung's son. Minjae." She introduced the young boy, who had stopped swinging and was now looking at the newcomer with curious eyes.

Haejun extended his hand towards Minjae, crouching down to meet him at eye level. "Hey there, Minjae. I'm Haejun. It's nice to meet you."

"You're the mister who likes Noona?" Minjae's question took both of them off guard and Haejun smiled while Y/N looked away, her eyes wide as she tried to hide her embarrassment.

"I do like your Noona quite a lot, that's for sure." She could hear him chuckle and she looked back at him, watching as he ruffled Minjae's hair and pet Danbi who was wagging his tail in delight. When he looked up at her and their eyes locked, her heart raced, and she found herself unable to look away from his warm, hazel eyes. Haejun cleared his throat, breaking the spell, and offered her a warm smile. "I'm glad I ran into you." 

When the little boy and his dog friend went back to the swings to play, Y/N and Haejun found themselves sitting on the nearby bench, their shoulders slightly touching as they enjoyed the gentle breeze and the warm setting sun. "Is it your day off?" 

"Yeah. I thought a jog and a visit to the park would be a nice way to spend my free time," Haejun replied, his gaze never leaving the picturesque view. "Is Heeseung's kid staying with you?" When she looked at him, he was looking at her. Y/N couldn't tell if whatever was in his eyes was jealousy, concern, or curiosity, but it made her pause for a moment.

"Heeseung is divorced. His ex-wife showed up today and he didn't want for Minjae to see her. I offered to pick him up from daycare." She smiled a little, feeling sorry for Minjae. A child like him really didn't deserve Eunji for a mother. The encounter from hours ago was enough to let Y/N know she was a very selfish and irresponsible person. "He's a sweet kid, you know? Taking care of him makes me feel wonder if I'll ever get to be a good mom."

"You would be." The smile on Haejun's face widened and he looked away, almost like he was already picturing her as a mother. "You have a kind heart and a lot of love to give. You would be a good beautiful mother."

Her cheeks flushed as she met his gaze, feeling a warmth spreading within her. "Thank you. I mean, being a mother is a long way off for me. I need to find myself a husband and settle down first."

"I can help with the husband part," For a moment, Haejun's words hung in the air, both of them startled by the boldness of the statement. Y/N looked at him, her eyes wide with surprise, but there was something in his eyes that made her heart flutter. It was almost as if he meant every single word but he was too afraid to admit it so he hid it behind a playful facade. "I... I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" She chuckled awkwardly while watching Minjae and Danbi lost in their own little world. "You're a nice guy. And I had a crush on you when we were younger, remember?"

Haejun took a deep breath and turned to face her fully, his warm, hazel eyes locking onto hers. "I'm sorry because I didn't mean that as a joke. I mean it, Y/N." And that was enough to make her heart skip a beat. She blinked in surprise, her heart racing as the weight of his words sank in.

"You mean it?" Her voice came out a bit shaky, her heart pounding in her chest. She watched as his jaw tightened and she swallowed a lump that formed in her throat. 

"Yes, Y/N. I mean it. I know you think everyone is only joking about it when they say we look good together but it's because they know I'm in love with you. Since you walked into the clinic with Danbi in your arms, I couldn't stop thinking about you. When you remembered me from high school and came back into my life, it felt like a second chance, and I didn't want to let it slip away. You might have fell for me fist, some years ago, but I think I fell harder for you. I just hope it's not too late to make things right."

Y/N's heart felt like it was soaring. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, and yet, it felt so right. So wrongfully right.