Disappointed but not surprised

Assak, Dwapar

What Peter wondered as he dodged another attack, was did Parker luck carry to the past? Because it seemed so.

Here Peter was, thousands of years in past, in a land of gods and whatnot, being pursued by some sort of energies and also utterly and completely alone in his confusion. More than enough people knew his secret, his identity out.

Swords swung around him and he lamented the loss of the admittedly worse time he came from. At least, Queens wasn't so hot. At least, he could be useful in fights if he were still in Queens, being the friendly neighborhood Spiderman.

A soldier threw his shield at Peter, taking advantage of his distraction to get in a hit. He managed to move away enough to avoid a fatal attack but couldn't help getting hurt as the shield collided with his torso, making him gasp and choke. Peter coughed out the blunt trauma and carried on, uncaring of the force. He had been through worse and lived to make inappropriate jokes about it. A little shield to his torso would be long gone even before sundown.

Peter kicked a soldier down, being careful to not use his full strength. The soldier fell down in a swoop and grunted, making guilt flare in Peter's chest. "I'm so sorry, sir!" He stuttered out and walked backwards slowly before engaging in the battle once again.

Could someone regret having powers? Peter couldn't answer the question. Steve Rogers didn't regret, but he didn't like the burden either. Similar was the state with everyone powered hero Peter knew.

Great power may come with great responsibility, but the submerged into eachother well enough to become humongous burdens on shoulders of those who bore them.

Peter had never dared to ask Charlotte. He knew the answer, of course. The death of a parent and the coming of a new power on the same day? Peter knew the situation intimately. The guilt, the self hatred, he knew. And truth be told, he would never be able to live if he saw the same destruction in her eyes. Hatred for something so precious, he would never be able to recover from that.

As it was, Peter had lived with scrapes of love that were above and beyond his reach. May had done great, she had been there every moment of his life even when she didn't have any blood relation to swear by. But finding more people? Finding people who could love him without the binding of legalities, was shocking.

Tony Stark, a man far away from his reach, loving him? Unfathomable and yet real.

He remembered the first conversation he had with Harley and Charlotte about that.

"Yeah, he's like that. Whatever he thinks, he's a mechanic at heart. He will find broken things and mend them together." Harley had said, his hand resting on his thigh, where his wallet stayed. In the wallet, stayed a photo of his mother and sister.

Charlotte nodded with a melancholic grin,"Kinda like kintsugi. Also, he's rich and dramatic enough to do that, too."

Peter had snorted,"Better way of saying that he collects strays?"

"Duh. Have some class."

A sense of belongingness had filled him then. Knowing that he was accepted.

The same sense had wrapped around him, when Bheem had ruffled his hair after a long day, when Nakul had used him as shield, when Arjun had gossiped with him, when Yudhisthir and Sahdev had stayed up all night with him and Tony to look at the stars.

That sense of belonging was the reason Peter was fighting a war that wasn't his. Whatever else he was, Peter Parker was loyal. Almost to a fault.

So when another soldier dared to try and stab Tony in the back, Peter instinctively yelled in outrage,"Tony!"