St. Vladimir

~

St. Vladimir

I awoke with a start, memories of events that took place before I passed out flashed through my mind, and my heart rate accelerates as I think of the driver that had, unfortunately, had his life taken away all too soon.

His name was Dravon Holmes, he was a middle-aged man who had a wife and child.

"Oh good, you're awake." A woman's voice could be heard from a short distance away.

I turn my head to see one of St. Vladimir's feeders, one of the many I had while I was a student here, Beyonka Stevens one of the few who I had actually befriended, standing mere feet away from me.

But, the thought of feeding brought on memories and thoughts of the Guardian.

Was it just a dream, or was that real? Did I actually bring him back? I have only ever been able to bring back animals, like birds, squirrels, turtles, mice, things that small, never an actual person-sized form.

"Beyonka!" I exclaim and that's all it took, she flung herself onto my bed and threw her arms around me, sobbing.

"I never thought I'd ever see you again," Yonnie exaggerates as a dramatized sigh comes out and she pulls away, holding the back of her hand to her forehand, "How did I ever survive without you?" She asks, holding my cheeks in between her hands and she smooshed my cheeks together while talking in a baby voice.

Beyonka had changed within the last few months I had been gone, her bright blue eyes had come alive with a lightened blue streaking in between her icy blue orbs and some freckles had appeared on the bridge of her nose all across her rosy red cheeks, accenting her already high cheekbones.

"It seems like you did just fine Yonnie." I say, and roll my eyes, but nevertheless, I brought my hands up and tentatively gripped her shoulder, pulling her in for my own hug.

"What crawled up your royal ass this evening?" Yonnie says.

"Obviously, you must have heard what happened-"

"I wasn't going to say anything until you mentioned it, but Lils, is it true? Did Holmes and Trevor McCann die?" Beyonka sits back, her big eyes hopeful.

"Yes, somehow we survived, the attack. One second we were just driving down the road and then the next the doors came off...Yonnie, it was awful, I was terrified." I say, looking up and meeting her stare as my heart picks up speed remembering how much fear was pumping through my system in between everything.

"Yeah, but Hathaway taught you to fight Lils, you know how to fight. How could you, be scared?" Beyonka asks.

It is true, I am twenty-three years old, and I was born the oldest Dragomir, but everyone always looked down upon me, because I passed up the crown. I passed up the chance to rule over St. Vladimir.

In 'my peoples' eyes, I am beneath them as I gave them no hope, no future, and I gave up building them a future. Many Moroi tell me I will eventually become mad and turn myself into a Strigoi, because I have no place amongst them, in their eyes.

I grew up different than any other royal known, I somehow was such a bright light when I was a toddler that all the adults that were royal, as well as council members, adored me so much whether or not I would sit down and learn about the boring ways of the war of politics.

They didn't care that I would run off when they had meetings when I would skip on my princess training, I would countlessly go down in the huge armor for I was only four when I started this, I would adorn the large armor, weapons, I had my hair done, for what I could do what it as a four-year-old and I would meet all the Novices and Mentors who were like heroes in my eyes down to The Docks.