Challenge Accepted

~

Challenge Accepted

Mia had practically made me her barbie doll as she dressed me up, in a loose top that went halfway down my torso and soft black shorts that hugged my frame nicely, from then on she gave me long black leather-streaked red knee-high boots that zipped up on the sides. 

My hair was tied into a high ponytail turned into a loop and all sat tight on my head, pulling back my hair in a neat pattern, I let Mia put light makeup on me, and she gave me lip gloss that made my lips tingle and seems to glisten in the light.

I was presently getting yanked and pulled down a series of hallways that consisted of the Dhampir Guardian rooms, after a minute of more turns we stop at a doorway with a golden nameplate that had light pulsating music coming from beyond the door. 

"Here we go." Mia utters softly. 

Just as I was about to ask her what she meant, Mia leaned forward and turned the door, opening it and leaving my question unanswered as she strolls in, instantly striking up conversations with some of the students inside. 

"Um...Okay, thanks." I mutter out softly as I stare inside the room.

There was light everywhere, bodies dancing, mulling about and music thrumming through every inch of my body. St. Vladimir's parties really were something to gush about. 

I walk inside slowly and look around, I realize really quickly I knew absolutely nobody here, aside from Mia who disappeared, but there was absolutely nobody that I recognized here and with a heavy feeling that rested on my shoulders, I walk inside, closing the door behind me. 

The room got considerably louder and darker with only dim lights around the room, I walk around, in awe as the crowd of Moroi and Dhampir alike danced amongst the crowd and chatted with one another further into the room past the dancing bodies. 

"What are you doing here?" 

Dimitri.

Shit. I wanted one minute without my damn babysitter around. 

Wait, why does my body feel weird all of a sudden, like instantly alert, standing at attention from just hearing a couple of syllables coming out of Dimitris's lips?

Ah, no! Don't think about his lips.

I don't turn as I stop at a small counter with bottles lining the smooth wooden surface, grabbing one and a small glass. The school was so kind to offer glass cups to drink the alcohol in. No other academy is this lenient with its students, only St. Vladimir, but then again this school is a one-of-a-kind. 

"I can go wherever I please." I say stubbornly and walk back towards the door where the dancing crowd was, sitting down on a small couch, one of the many lined in this room, almost like conjoined movie theater seats.

"Lilianna, please. You're going to be training in two hours, do you really think you are going to train and drink?" Dimitri asks, his voice had a hard edge to it and as I turn my head I notice Dimitri had sat down beside me. 

"Lily." I snap.

"What?" Dimitri tilts his head to the side.

"I don't like to be called Lilianna, I never have. Just call me Lily-" I say, forgetting about the cup as I grab the bottle of whatever I stole off the counter, but I tip it back and immediately grimace.

Vodka.

"-And anyway, I could say the same to you. You're here Dimitri, do you really think you can train me after drinking?" I say, and turn my head lightly just so I catch a glimpse of the daring challenge that springs to his eyes. 

The corners of his lips turn up, and his eyes scream the dark glint of a challenge, one that sent shivers down my spine. 

"I guess we'll see, now won't we?" Dimitri elusively says, somehow snatching the bottle from my hands, taking a turn swigging heavily from the bottle before putting the bottle down and on the floor by my feet. 

My heart accelerates as Dimitri bet down by my level and put the bottle down on the floor, but I could feel the heat pouring off him, the heat that wanted to cling to me, his dark green eyes calling to me, somehow cutting off all thoughts to my brain for a moment as our eyes make contact for a split second.

"Challenge accepted." I say, avoiding eye contact as Dimitri stands back up, straightening his posture, and steps away.

"I am pretty sure I have no idea what you are talking about." Dimitri says, his voice serious, no humor in it this time, but as I pick my head up, surprised by the tone he now used, I could see his eyes painted a much different story.

Dimitri stands up, my head tilts back as he stands. I could feel my heart skip a beat in my chest as our eyes not once broke the pull that kept our eyes on one another, but my feet move almost as soon as he does and I stood up as well.

"I am pretty sure you do." I say brazenly, reaching up with my left hand and resting it against his chest for a moment. 

I don't know what particularly made me reach up and touch this Dhampir. I never had my eyes on anyone before, let alone a Dhampir, and the Guardian that turned out to be assigned to me. I tilt my head back as my lips open of their own accord. 

A small audible hiss escapes my lips in an instinct as Dimitri reaches out with his right hand and lifts it up to my hip, his fingers brushing over my skin lightly and then let his hand fall back to his side abruptly. 

I didn't know what my new agenda was. I was not into politics, and I knew being Queen would turn my stomach from the inside out, but I also knew Dimitri's words rang in my heart, I knew he was right. 

I could be the change that needed to happen at St. Vladimir, but what can one Queen do, especially when she is rallied against a room full of council members? 

"It's time to drink and party before fighting time." I say, turning to Dimitri, a large smirk spreading wide across my face.

"Lilianna, no. You're my responsibility, you cannot drink too mu-" 

"Let's play a game...Where I do what I want, and you just let me do it." I shrug my shoulders, a wide smile spreading across my face, a genuine smile. 

"In. Your. Dreams...Princess." Dimitri whispers out, his full lips spread into his own wicked mischievous smile. 

"Or maybe I'm in yours." I whisper back, standing up on my tiptoes to get close, before sliding past Dimitri Belikov with a smirk plastered all over my face no doubt. My lips feel as if they're being stretched to the opposite sides of my face.

I walk past Dimitri and walk back to the counter, watching as Moroi and Dhampir dance about. 

With my chest heaving and my heart racing, I grab a random bottle off the counter and walked into the crowd of dancing bodies, trying like hell to forget about that intense and very tension-filled moment with my Guardian.

What was that? 

Why did I feel like that? Like I was a trapped cat, couldn't move, couldn't speak other than everything I didn't want to say but what my mouth just automatically responded with. Why did my heart react the way it did? 

There were so many questions that ran through my head, it was making both my brain and my insides burn, the endless unanswered questions become too much and I take a few more sips of the bottle before dancing and losing myself to the atmosphere, getting completely sucked back into St. Vladimirs contagious giddiness.

{Authors Note}

How do you feel about Lilianna so far?

What about how the story setting, how everything is explained or turning out?

Let me know what you think!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it a lot.