Unexpected

~

Unexpected

We ride down the endlessly long road in silence, the bright green trees pass by in a blur of dark brown and green with a twist of light blue from the sky. All the colors blend into one large swirl.

"How much farther is it?" I ask the driver once more, the bodyguard sitting beside me doing no justice to the endless questions swimming in my head.

"Why, your highness?" The driver speaks up.

"Please don't call me that, Lily works just as fine." I respond, sitting back into the backseat, my back settling up against it.

"I'm hungry," I reply.

"You can feed when we arrive." My bodyguard says, rather rudely.

My eyebrows knit together in concentration when I hear a twinge of an accent hinder his voice, making it seem flawless as it wraps around my head. I think that may be the first sentence he has uttered to me the entire ride so far.

"But, I'm hungry." I say, almost in a whine.

My gums were aching as were my fangs, they longed to plunge them in a feeder's neck and satiate my thirst, I hadn't eaten in almost a day now. The hunger was clawing at me, a fire settled in my core that slowly spread to my gums and made the entire lower half of my face throb.

"How long had it been since you ate?" The man sitting beside me spoke again, the accent floating around his words, making it hard to concentrate on anything but just the tone and the way words would just roll off his tongue at areas.

"Almost a day." I reply, my head lolling back onto the backseat, my entire body suddenly fuzzy, almost like I couldn't lift my head anymore.

"Why would you...Can you hold on till we get to the academy?" The man spoke up, the urgency in his voice alarmingly loud and I could feel one of his warm hands grasp my forearm.

"No..." I say, my eyes threatening to close, my breathing going ragged.

How did it happen this fast? I was fine and then suddenly I wasn't.

I feel the car jerk to the side and speed up, and my eyes spring open to glance outside and notice the dark black gates of St. Vladimir loomed in the near distance, a lot closer than I would have liked.

The last time I was here, nobody liked me. I was the first Dragmoir to grace this world, but I was the most disliked as I wasn't into politics like Vasilissa and Andre. Andre died almost six months ago and so did my parents. Lisa and I were the only ones remaining out of the Dragomir line.

My eyes loll closed just as the scent of blood, the sweet metallic taste met my nose, and my teeth extended into fangs instantly poking out slightly out of my mouth, I hiss sharply as the smell furthers the blood cravings I was having.

"Here, Lilianna." The man speaks again just as something warm was placed against me and warm blood met my lips, torturing my tongue as the sweet liquid slides down my throat without me actually having to swallow.

I drink the blood, although I don't know who its from or where its coming from, at this point I couldn't even make sense of anything as the blood flows down my neck, reviving me little by little.

I could feel the strength returning to my limbs as it was easier to pick myself up and move. I pull away from whatever was against me and open my eyes slowly, the firs thing I see is the dark vast space of the surroundings trees outside as the car drove up the long and windy road to the gates of St. Vladimirs.

An eerie feeling, almost like somebody pouring spiders all through my body, an odd sense that something bad was going to happen wouldn't leave my gut, the feeling settling over my being and called out to me. Trying to tell me something.

"What is going on?" I ask.

"You're going to be okay your highness, I fed you, but you should rest until we arrive at the academy." The man spoke up once again, but as I go to sit up, I noticed the man had wrapped his arms around me as I was beginning to pass out.

"Thank yo-"

The driver side door was suddenly ripped off its hinges and thrown out to the side, as a being one could only describe as a Strigoi popped his head in, his heading careening around until his eyes settled on me.

"Don't you even think about it!" The man beside me yells.

"Lily, I am your Guardian, I need you to run. I need to take care of him, and you need to-" The mans door is ripped open and thrown to the side as well as another Strigoi grabs a hold of him and throws him to the ground.

I hear the man scream as the Strigoi jerked him forward and sealed his fangs into his throat, tearing out the flesh instantly and letting his body flop back onto the ground, lifeless.

"No!" I yell.

The sight of the dark golden-haired man, lifeless with his eyes staring open, tore my inside apart, something broke as I leap forward and hurdle myself out of the still slightly moving vehicle. I stand on the pavement and stand in front of the man who had just saved my life, trying to protect him.

A blinding light surrounds my hands as I feel a hot burning sensation settle around my body, the heat turning up as the light gets brighter and brighter until it feels as if it was burning me alive. I take a deep breath in and scream as the light explodes incinerating anything in its path.

As the light expands from my hands, the Strigoi burst into flames upon the light touching their body, after a few minutes the light dwindles down to a tiny ember sparkling around my hands, but soon fades until it is naturally extinguished.

With my heart erratically beating inside my chest, I look around, taking a long time for my eyes and insides to adjust to what just happened.

I just did something in history that no other Moroi vampire has ever done before, royal or not; taken down more than one Strigoi on their own.

I look down and gasp, momentarily forgetting about the golden-haired man who had saved my life and place my palms up against his forehead and chest, feeling for a pulse.

"No!" I yell out, for some odd reason, it really hurt to see him dead, I didn't know who he was or even his name, but I lean my head down and let a tear roll down my cheeks.

"The Academy will never forget your name, I can promise you that." I say shakily, but let out a gasp as I feel that burning sensation come back and all of a sudden, bright light erupts around my hands where I was touching the man.

The light that left my hands, went straight into the Dhampir Guardians' body and somehow flowed through him, as it swirled around his body, enveloping him.

The mans eyes spring open wide and he opens his mouth with a gasp, he sits up quickly, startling me in the process.

"Did you just-"

"Please don't tell anyone." I whisper just as a heavy and empty feeling settled over me, making me feel completely wiped out and I fall to the dark tar, falling into a dark abyss.

But not before I felt the man's arms wrap around me and I could feel myself being lifted into the air.

Maybe this is how I die...

From saving my Guardian from a Strigoi attack.

Huh. Yeah.

No that would be a way to go.

Unfortunately, this is not that kind of heroic tale, this is a tale of a different kind.

Hello and welcome to my reality.

A reality of royals, vampires and endless political rallies, and council meetings.

Though Lissa was always the more political one, I was the more dangerous, on-the-edge one.

I am Lilianna Dragomir, the eldest of the Dragomirs', the new princess of St. Vladimir's and this is my tale.