Chapter 04

"Di is glowing." Annika rolled her eyes hearing her cousin speak in a whispered voice. "Jeeju and Di are a match. They were looking so good in the hawan pictures. Awee! I want someone as handsome and brainy as jeeju."

"Koi na puttar, you will get one when the time asks for it." Kusum smiled caressing her daughter's cheeks. She rubbed her fingers above Annika's hairline where the vermillion was smeared, whilst Annika squeezed her eyes shut controlling the anger bubbling inside her.

"Stop doing that!" Irritated by her mother's effort, Annika swatted her hands and walked away leaving the two alone.

"She is hurt." Her cousin Maya uttered as Annika banged the door with a thud.

"I know." Kusum agreed with hopeful eyes. "She would be in a better position one day. Today she may not be that happy and appreciative regardless of that down the year's lane she would be at peace."

"She isn't happy with this." Maya surmised.

"She would be one day. I and her baba aren't here enemies to get her married to someone as a villain. Shivaay is a nice man. I birthed her after nourishing her for nine months long. And I know what is best for her." Kusum began propelling to her subconscious mind and then explaining to her niece.

"But she is hating you every minute," Maya interjected with a sigh.

"Let her do. As a mother, I had a duty for care and to have a special affection towards my daughter. Today, my shoulder has been bare after fulfilling my responsibility."

Maya nodded her head in understanding.

"Don't mistake me," Kusum started putting her thoughts into words with reluctance. Maya smiled and pressed her shoulders with her palms and nodded her head in affirmative to continue further. "I am a mother figure to you and hold some obligation towards you too. If you love someone never bounce into the future without consulting your parents. No parent will wish to see the heartbreaking life of their flesh. Never do something like your cousin, Annika."

Tearing up slowly with the concern Kusum was showing, Maya smiled. "I wish I had a mother like you. Annika Di is good but she failed to appreciate your point. Anyway, I would never dream of the love when I have a stepmom to look after."

Chuckling dryly with her statement, Kusum kissed her forehead affectionately.

__🖤__

Two weeks later.

For Annika marital bliss was nothing but a unilateral contract she was involved with herself. Their parents wished their children a happy married life and send them off to Shivaay's residence; which was quite far from the University. Soon as he entered the one-bedroom apartment he rushed towards the dresser and tugged his two-wheeler's key.

Then grabbing the calendar and a pen that had its ink drained from his study table, he scribbled some contact details.

"In case of an emergency ring a call to this. If not, don't ever try to connect with me. I don't think you can stay under the same roof as your rapist husband." He sarcastically laughed passing the wrinkled piece of paper.

Annika rolled her eyes as Shivaay spoke with uneasiness and hesitation.

"Your contact details? Do you think I would contact you? Huh?" Annika raised her brows as she murmured the last part to herself. "My foot!"

"No. That's my good friend, Abhay Shenoy."

What surprised Annika was that, true to his words he was out of her reach. He didn't attend college, giving his honeymoon as a reason, nor he came to his flat.