Chapter 23

Next day

Annika was a little scared to ask her husband, Shivaay about his decision and the final word by his father, Shakti about him moving to another city.

The thought of broaching the topic made her stomach churn with anxiety. She had been mulling over it for days contemplating the right moment to bring it up but her apprehension always got the better of her. Annika knew that asking Shivaay about his father's decision would require courage and tact. She wanted to approach him when he was in a calm state of mind but it seemed like there was never a suitable time.

Initially Annika had planned to ask him the next morning over a peaceful cup of coffee. However fate had other plans in store. Shivaay being a lawyer had an urgent and also first case to represent before the honorable court, causing him to leave early that morning. And he was wired in his own turmoil and Annika thought it would be unfair if she approached this matter.

As he rushed out of the house Annika's heart sank. She felt the weight of her unasked question pressing against her chest.

Throughout the day Annika's mind wandered distracted by thoughts of what Shivaay's decision might be. More than his case, Annika was worried about the decision of moving to another city.

Fear gnawed at her making it difficult to focus on anything else. It was a struggle to maintain her composure but as the hours passed a resolve slowly built within her. She reminded herself that communication was key in a relationship and she owed it to herself and Shivaay to voice her concerns.

As evening approached Annika mustered up the courage to ask him. Trying to find the right moment she decided to wait until dinner. As Pinky wasn't with them, to allow some privacy, she prepared Shivaay's favorite dishes hoping that the comforting aroma and ambiance would ease the tension. .

As they sat down on the floor to eat Shivaay noticed the variety of food and smiled warmly at Annika.

"Aap dahi lenge?"

[Trans- would you have some curd]

"Nahi aachar kaafi hain." Shivaay mumbled before, picking up a couple of Rotis from cotton cloth cladded casserole.

[Trans- No pickle is enough.]

"Aap ko nahi khana?"

[Trans-won't you sit and have dinner?]

"Nahi. You eat, mein baad mein kha lungi."

[Trans- No. You eat, I will eat later.]

"Ek aur plate la digiye." He nudged Annika with his elows to get another plate from the kitchen.

[Trans- Get one more plate from the kitchen.]

Sighing at his stubbornness, Annika soon brought the washed plate and made herself comfortable beside him.

Picking up two Rotis from the casserole, Shivaay tentatively served on her plate. After serving her some saabzi, he scooped the aam ka aachar to serve her. "Acchar?"

[Trans- Pickle?]

"No I will go with curd." Annika shook her head grabbing the homemade curd.