Chapter 19

It was an awkward car ride with unsettled emotions wavering.

Within the confined space of their car, a thick and heavy silence hung in the air as Annika continued to sob softly her tears flowing incessantly. The events of a few hours ago still weighed heavily on her heart and the rawness of her emotions consumed her. Beside her, Shivaay, her husband tried his best to focus on the road ahead whilst his grip tightened on the steering wheel as he desperately searched for the right words to console his wife.

The vibrant city lights seemed to merge in a blur as Shivaay stole glances at Annika his heart aching with her pain. It pained him to see her like this as if her very spirit had been shattered. Yet he understood that the scars of the past could unexpectedly resurface reopening wounds thought to have healed long ago.

"Annie, my strong wife," Shivaay finally whispered his voice trembling slightly "I know it hurts and I can't even begin to imagine the depth of your pain. But please remember that I am here for you always. No matter what may come you are not alone in this."

Annika sniffled, her gaze fixed on the passing lights outside the window finding solace in the muted chaos of the outside world. She took a deep breath her tears subsiding for a moment as she let Shivaay's words penetrate her wounded heart.

"I feel so broken Shivaay." She managed to say her voice filled with sadness. "The memories came rushing back today and I thought I had moved on. And I have but she rubbed it on my wounds. The pain...it's still so real. I didn't do any of it with my consciousness. I agree I was wrong. I was wrong but....bringing the memories back is-"

Shivaay reached out and gently clasped Annika's hand squeezing it tenderly. "Sometimes wounds heal on the surface but deep down they leave a mark. We carry those scars with us and it's okay to feel vulnerable in these moments. But please believe me when I say that you are strong. You've faced your demons before and together we'll face them again."

Annika's eyes met Shivaay's searching for reassurance and finding it in his unwavering gaze. Despite feeling overwhelmed by her own emotions she took solace in his embrace knowing that he would never belittle her pain or dismiss her feelings.

"She told me I wasn't welcome at my parent's home, it's the place where I fell, I laughed and learnt from my fall. I grew up there with my parents and brother holding my fingers tightly. Now, today my friend, my brother's would-be wife asked me not to visit my parents. I never thought I would one day receive this kind of treatment. Probably this is what happens with every woman, once they get married they can't call their parents' home hers not their husband's family as hers. like all I don't have a house to call it home. What an unaltered love!" Annika raised her fingers to brush away the rolling tears as she glanced at her husband's hard and straightened face.

"Not all women Annika." Shivaay tightened his grip on the steering wheel, parking the car on the sidelines. "Don't think it like that. As I told you earlier, I will always stay by you. Through thick and thin. And who says that you don't have a home? I agree our house is small and doesn't match other bigger ones regardless of that it makes the home. That's all matters. However our hearts are so Big and spacious, they can accommodate all. Even if you sleep with your limbs on my face, our home is big enough."

Annika gave up on her sobbing when she heard him remark about her sleeping position. Her lips curved up and she whacked his arms for teasing at the wrong moment.

"My parents aren't that typical in-laws. Never say that you don't have a home. The place where you, Ma, Papa and Shubh Bhai are, is my home."

Wiping her dampened cheeks, Annika nodded her head and threw her famous smile. Overjoyed with his confession, she reached over, hovering over him and pecked his lips, bringing a smirk to his lips. Soon his body flustered with her open act.